1. Default Brit rides scooter from florida to ??

Hey all.

I live in England and have this urge to make some kind of trip across america.

On A scooter. Which I would need to rent from somewhere?

I've searched google for information on laws around where you can ride a scooter etc but I can't really find much.

So I was wondering if anyone could help me?

I have some friends who are going to florida in april and I'm planning on staying with them for a week and then heading off on my own on some kind of advernture.

Are there roads where this would be possible on a scooter that only goes 35 mph?

Also, could anyone tell me what would be the most interesting journey to take?

I've looked at florida to up towards kentucky, or from florida to new york which seems to go along the coast. Any ideas?

If anyone could be of some help that would be fantastic.

Catlow x

Green County, Wisconsin

Default tricky

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There are a couple potential problems here, not the least of which is the definition of "scooter."

The first thing you'll need to do is make sure that the scooter is "street legal" in the states where you'll be driving. Some smaller models, with small engines and low top speeds, might not be allowed on roads and highways at all.

If you've got a scooter that is legal, then you can drive it on pretty much any street or two lane highway. Interstates and other freeways will have restrictions that prevent a slow moving vehicle from using the road.

The other big problem I'd see is finding a scooter for a long term rental. I don't think you'll find anyone that allows "one way" rentals, and even renting one for the several weeks that you'd need to complete this trip.

Considering these problems, and the fact that I can't imagine that spending hours driving a scooter would be all that comfortable, what is your reason for choosing this method of transportation? I think you'll probably be better off either going with a regular rental car, or keeping your adventure to a much smaller scale.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default An odd choice

I did a search of the forum, and this has been asked a few times before.

Since you mentioned 35mph, I guess that you are indeed talking about the moped-style of transportation. I don't know how long you are going to be on your trip for, but these run in the $2000-3000 range (at least that's what a cursory search showed). The only scooter rental places I know of are in places such as Ocean City, Maryland, and they only rent them for local use.

Essentially any limited access highway will be off-limits to you, so you will have to plan your route via secondary roads. You'd be looking at 24+ hours at top speed from Daytona to Bowling Green, KY (used simply as references). Which I would place at 5-6 days since I cannot imagine being all that comfortable on a scooter for that long, and even that is figuring that there won't be any rain, wind, snow, or other natural phenomena.