Default Mission Southern CA

Having an eight month old has turned out to be more 'less-traveling' than I'd imagined. But we have 4 days of Christmas vacation. ie 25th- 28th that we thought we would spend in the sunny side of CA(Just wanted to avoid too much cold & extensive travel). We've been to all the famous ones in LA-Disney, Universal, Sunset Blvd etc. We have also covered San Diego. And the national parks of the area.
    We are looking for quiet places to wind down & also enjoy some local attractions...short hikes, parks, museums & the like.
    I know it is last minute & will be difficult to find cheaper places, but anything interesting? I am sure the area holds so much treasure.

Your replies would really help me plan our vacation.

thanks
    cool

If the weather is good, why not drive down CA-1 to get there and take in the Hearst Castle? You might want to check out Santa Barbara and see what it offers.

Default Did we know about the baby?

Quote Originally Posted by cool View Post
    Having an eight month old...
    How did I miss that news earlier?
    But we have 4 days of Christmas vacation. ie 25th- 28th that we thought we would spend in the sunny side of CA(Just wanted to avoid too much cold & extensive travel).
    The 29 Palms Inn is an out-of-the-way place with plenty of day trip opportunities -- and the food at the cafe (by the pool) is one of the best-kept secrets in the southland. It looks like hot-dog-fry-cook place -- but it has some of the freshest and most imaginative low-cost meals I've ever seen. Another option would be to book a room at one of the motels near the Anza Borrego Park -- this could be a nice year for winter flowers and it should be sunny, albeit perhaps cooler temps this year. It's funny I remember a motel actually in the park, but I couldn't find a link to it when I was making this post. Here is one in the nearby town. I've not stayed there -- but it sounds very nice!

Mark

Default you are a busy man :-)

Mark,
    Last year I had mentioned a 10 day pregnant-trip to NV, UT & AZ. I posted it here. May be it crossed your mind. Anyway, it does seem so long ago!!!
    We are blessed with a crawling baby girl that is making a 4 mile hike seem satisfied, for now:-)

We were in Anza Borrego for 2006 New Year. We were fortunate to camp there. The place is holy! Awesome.

But with a crawler, I was thinking more of Solvang(2nd visit) & some quiet places near LA. I am also looking at Mulholland dr, beach boardwalks & the like. Basically, any place where I can take out a stroller.

And glc, thanks. But Hearst Castle, San Simeon, Big Sur...been there done that!

So looking for any secret places that any of you wish to share.

Still looking,
    cool