1. Default Summer 09 Road Trip

Hi,

I live in London, England and am contemplating a road trip next year probably the start of June 09.
    I just wanted to get an idea of what would be a feasible road trip given that we will probably only have about 2 weeks in States. My friend is having his batchelor party in Las Vegas so that is the only concrete place we have to visit. I would have loved to started in L.A and work our way across including vegas, texas, new orleans, and possibly Atlanta. Unfortunately i don't think in 2 weeks that is enough time do this? Especially as we would want to spend a night or two in the bigger attractions.
    Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Default timing

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

It takes roughly a week to drive across the country, so if you were to do a one way trip, then your idea would work pretty well.

You could also very easily fill up 2 weeks just exploring California or other areas of the west. It depends upon what you are really looking to do and what things would be most fun to you.

Default So much.

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums.

There are just so many options to choose from it's hard to know where to start, so I suggest having a look around the forums and roadtrip planning pages to gather some ideas would be a good place to start.

With 2 weeks available it's certainly possible to drive across the country as it's generally considered to be 5 or 6 days driving, leaving time for some stops along the way.
    However the Southwest around Vegas offers lots of great National parks, desert landscapes, city's, mountains and forest as well as the Californian coast and is a very popular itinerary.

Do a little research and tell us a little more about your interests e.t.c. and I am sure we can help you put something together.

4. Default

thanksvery much for all your help so far.

we have decided against doing a coast to coast road trip as we feel it would be a bit pushed for time. So instead we are looking at 4 days in Vegas i think and the rest of the time around California. Considering defienitely visiting LA and san diego. That's about as far as i have got in regards to planning. Is there any places worth visiting around that sort of area?
    It will be like 3/4 guys so it will probably the case we would be looking to do sightseeing and active stuff in the day and in the evening go to clubs or bars. Possibly also catch a baseball or basketball game as well if the season is still going on in june.

Default Loads to see and do.

Hi jp,

Is there any places worth visiting around that sort of area?
    There are endless possibility's in the Southwest and this thread covers some
    popular suggestions for the Southwest. Some of the best parks are situated nearby such as Zion, Bryce canyon and the big ditch [otherwise known as the Grand canyon]. The Pacific coast highway from L/A to San Fran is very scenic as are the parks of Sequoia and Yosemite in California.
    While you are in Vegas you might fancy getting out and about in the day, here are some day trip suggestions.

You can either start and finish in Vegas and do a loop or start Vegas and fly out from another location [L/A?] on a one way trip, although that would add costs to car rental.

Here are some suggestions from my point of view. There won't be enough time to do anywhere near all of this, and some of these things may not hold any interest for you, so they are presented as ideas.

If possible, fly into San Diego and rent a vehicle. If this is not feasible, fly into LA.

Things to see in San Diego: Sea World, San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Park, go to a Padres baseball game at Petco Park. Plenty of nightlife around the ballpark, which is very close to downtown in a tourist-oriented district.

LA: huge, sprawling area. Way too many things to mention, you could spend a week there and just scratch the surface. Hollywood, Universal Studios, Disneyland, baseball at Dodgers Stadium and Anaheim. Plenty of nightlife.

Travel up the coast from LA to San Francisco. Santa Barbara, Hearst Castle, Big Sur, Monterey, Carmel, Santa Cruz. Baseball at AT&T Park in SF and Oakland. Plenty of nightlife.

Travel to Las Vegas via Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Sequoia, and Death Valley. Decent nightlife at Lake Tahoe.

If time is up, travel back to SD or LA. If you have more time, Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Japes_jp View Post
    Hi,

I live in London, England and am contemplating a road trip next year probably the start of June 09.
    I just wanted to get an idea of what would be a feasible road trip given that we will probably only have about 2 weeks in States. My friend is having his batchelor party in Las Vegas so that is the only concrete place we have to visit. I would have loved to started in L.A and work our way across including vegas, texas, new orleans, and possibly Atlanta. Unfortunately i don't think in 2 weeks that is enough time do this? Especially as we would want to spend a night or two in the bigger attractions.
    Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    You could do this fairly easily IF you can finagle two details: Cut out Atlanta; it's a loooong way from New Orleans, and sacraficing that out will give you a reasonable amount of time in the other spots. Make it a one-way trip; rent your car in LA and return it in New Orleans. You'll pay more in car rental, but you can't reasonably backtrack and return to LA in two weeks.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    If possible, fly into San Diego and rent a vehicle. If this is not feasible, fly into LA.
    San Diego is a very good idea!