1. Default Advice - Road Trip to Southwest (Warmth)

Hi people,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I'm thinking of ducking out of my New York City life for a month to live out of a mini-van. I am looking for warmish weather, wonderful scenery with lightish crowds where I can be alone if desired, and areas that are big and vast. I have researched and found some recommendations...Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, Big Bend National Park, Monument Valley, and Moab Utah...can you vouge for any of these? Am I missing some gorgeous ones? Is there a route that can be recommended?

I don't want to stay in the same spot and will likely want to move around and perhaps visit some interesting towns in the area. You know of any good stops from NY down to the southwest?

I have never done anything like this before and know nothing about the area. I am just itching for an experience outside of this congested city for some lone time and will have a month free from Mid Feb to mid March and want to be comfortable outside with no more than a fleece. Thanks for your help.

Well all the places you listed are absolutely beautiful ( I haven’t been to big bend so I can't report on it). However in that time frame it may not be that warm in some places. Bryce will likely have snow on the ground, although it is magical when it does. Bryce is at high altitude so it can be chilly. Arches NP, just outside of Moab, is great and a must see. You shouldn't hit crowds that time of year which is good. I would check the National Park Service web site for more detailed info on climate. The first time I was in Monument Valley was in a very windy, chilly April. However not far from there at a nifty little place called Hoevenweep, we had snow and 70+ degree temps in the same day about an hour apart. You should be prepared for a wide range of temps as altitude can affect the weather.

If you have a month there shouldn't be a problem finding a route to cover all those areas. the Utah parks and Mon valley have an easy circle route that covers them well. if you do go to big bend, then White Sands is well worth seeing in New Mexico. Chaco Canyon in New Mexico is also great if you are going over to Texas.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Snow birds

One thing to keep in mind is that you are not the only person who likes to escape the cold at this time of year. The Southwest has a significant "snowbird" population, so I doubt you'll find any place where you're truly going to be alone. Of course, it's not going to be anything like Manhattan at rush hour, either.

Also, consider the weather in most of the places you've mentioned. Bryce Canyon is at about 8-9,000 feet above sea level, so you're likely to see some cold air there. Big Bend, on the other hand, will most likely give you what you want.

Have you had any experience with shorter trips? You might want to take a weekend trip somewhere local to prepare yourself, if you can do it. Solo trips are fun, but they do take a certain amount of preparation of mind. Maybe not so much once you've done it a few times, but given the length you are planning on traveling, I would recommend a short trip first.