Live in SW England, Work in Dubai, Travel in USA

Default UK to UK Via ???? It's up to you!

I've enjoyed writing my trip reports on this forum over the course of the last year, and the posts I've read on here have helped me make the most of my trips.

So I'm turning to this forum, and its regulars for advice on where to go and what to see on my next sojourn into the brave new world

I am flying into LAX in the middle of April next year and I have 23 days to see as much of the West of the USA as I can - there are no limits, no previously arranged meetings.

Just me, a convertible (I hope) and the open road.

I should point out that I have read every thread on this forum to do with travelling in this area, and I have noted down some ideas, however I'm keen to see things that your average tourist would not.

Suggestions then please of where to go. (this needs to be a round trip, terminating in LA, and I'm comfortable travelling 500 miles a day if needs be.)

My thoughts so far:

Grand Canyon (is the helicopter flight worth it?)
    Vegas
    San Fran
    Route 66

Over to you all.

Default So much.

Hi dangermouse.

I've enjoyed writing my trip reports on this forum over the course of the last year,
    And I've enjoyed reading them. ;-0.

I should point out that I have read every thread on this forum to do with travelling in this area,
    WOW ! Theres thousands upon thousands. I got 800 threads from just seaching Vegas and Grand canyon. ;-)

Grand Canyon (is the helicopter flight worth it?)
    We thoroughly enjoyed our Heli flight from the Grand canyon airport in Tusayan. We didn't go for a combined tour just a 45 min flight from South rim To North rim and the painted desert which was pretty good value as well. The whole experience was memorable but when you are flying over the tree tops and suddenly the ground disappears beneath you as you go over the canyon it's spectacular. You also get to see it from lots of different angles and much better views of the Colorado.

Of course other touristy things are the coastal highway, Yosemite, Sequoia,Zion, Bryce, Death valley and Monument valley to name a few and they are touristy for good reason, each is spectacular.

A less visited place we enjoyed was the Kern river highway from Kernville [Lake Isabella ] to Porterville through Johnsondale and a grove of Sequoias called "The trial of 100 giants.
    Another part we enjoyed was from Capitol reef N.P. through Hanksville and down the very quiet Moki dugway [Twisty mountain road with great views from the top] [ 261 UT] to Goosenecks, Mexican hat and to Monument valley.

Of course there are a million and one things to do and one regret was not having time to visit Antelope canyon near Page, but one day........
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 12-02-2008 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Added comment.

Live in SW England, Work in Dubai, Travel in USA

Thanks Dave, a little more flesh on the bones of the plan here, in the hope that other people will chip in with what they've liked and disliked on trips in the area.

My planned itinerary is as follows

04/13 Land LA at lunchtime
    04/14 LA
    04/15 LA then drive to San Diego in the evening
    04/16 San Diego
    04/17 Tijuana, Mexico (it seems rude not to as I'm so close!) drive to Phoenix, AZ in the evening
    04/18 Phoenix AZ then drive toward Vegas in the evening
    04/19 Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon then Vegas
    04/20 Vegas
    04/21 Vegas
    04/22 Vegas
    04/23 Vegas then drive to Salt Lake City, UT
    04/24 Salt Lake City then drive to Twin Falls, ID in the evening
    04/25 Twin Falls, ID
    04/26 Drive to Medford, OR
    04/27 Medford, OR then drive to Eureka, CA
    04/28 Eureka, CA then drive to San Francisco, CA
    04/29 SF
    04/30 SF
    05/01 SF
    05/02 SF
    05/03 SF, leave lunchtime to drive to Monterey, CA
    05/04 Drive to San Louis Obispo, CA then drive to Santa Barbara, CA
    05/05 Santa Barbara CA then drive to LAX
    05/05 17.50pm fly home

According to Mapquest, this journey is some 2890 miles and 47hrs of driving, assuming I use Interstates - I prefer to stay off these wherever possible, so I know that distances and times are likely to increase.

There is however only me travelling and I am used to 18hr days when on holiday.

I would appreciate suggestions of things to see along the way, routes to take and things to see in each location - I have all the relevent lonely planet guides, but there's no substitute for first hand knowledge.

I would recommend that you not go to Tijuana. It's not safe for tourism right now, the drug cartel is at war with the police, tourism is way down, and the few tourists there are being taken advantage of big time. If you must set foot in Mexico, do so in a safer area like maybe Mexicali. Don't drive across the border - park the car and walk across.