1. Default Vegas to Montana

Hi everyone. Myself and a couple of friends are thinking of driving from Las Vegas into Utah and Colorado and then up through Wyoming and Montana. Can people advise on the best (and cheapest) way of doing this? We were looking into renting a car but it will be very expensive as we are all under 25 and we weren't sure if we could pick it up in Vegas and leave it in Montana at the end. Will it be possible to buy a cheap car and sell it at the end or will this be a real pain? Any advice would be really helpful. Cheers, Jamie.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Cheaper to rent

Quote Originally Posted by jamie0603 View Post
    Myself and a couple of friends are thinking of driving from Las Vegas into Utah and Colorado and then up through Wyoming and Montana.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! How long do you have for this trip? How many is a couple of friends? Renting a car even with the drop-off fees (for one-way rentals) and the surcharge for under 25 is going to be less expensive than purchasing a car. If you purchase a car, you'll need to register it and get insurance -- where do live?

There are lots of routes, you need to tell us a bit more about the planned adventure.

3. Default

Thanks for the reply. Currently two people are committed but the numbers are still up in the air but hopefully we will have 3 or 4 of us to split the cost of driving etc. We live in the UK so I think that renting will probably be the best option.

A very rough idea of the trip so far is to go from Las Vegas to Colorado taking in the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley on the way. From then we wanted to travel up through the Rockies and eventually into Wyoming to see Yellowstone NP. From there we would continue North into Montana to Glacier National Park. To finish we might travel West along I-90 towards Seattle. This plan is very flexible as nothing has been booked at the moment. We have about 5 weeks for this trip - is the route realistic for this timeframe?

We are looking to see some good scenery and do some hiking or mountain biking but i'm a bit worried that looking at the route it is just going from national park to national park and I want to go to some towns with good nightlife along the way. It sounds like a cliche but I would love to visit some small town 'real america'.

Any tips on the route, good places to see or general travel advice would be welcome.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default round trip

First of all, All of America is the "Real America." If you do this trip and find a part of "fake america" let us know!

5 weeks does give you plenty of time to see a large variety of things. However, to keep your costs down, I'd probably look at trying to do this trip as a round trip. It should help keep your car rental and airfare costs down.