Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Texas trip - ideas wanted

Howdy pardners,

Once agin I call upon y'all for ideas,suggestions, places to go n' things to see.

There's a group of 6 of us Brits thinking about going to Texas in September 2009, probably fly into Houston as that's a direct flight (and very reasonable price too!).

The type of things we'd be interested in would be:-

Hiring Harleys for say a 3 or 4 day trip.
    A lake where we can/rent a boat for the day/fish/swim
    Anything to do with NASA / Space exploration (assume there'd be something in Houston?)
    A beach house for a few days
    Cowboy or Native American Indian towns/experiences,rodeos etc. (I hope I have used the correct terminology, my apologies if not, put it down to me being a dumb limey).
    Any local Motor racing events
    Anything else you know of that would interest a group of 50 year olds who still think they're in their teens !

Cheers me dears.

Charlie

2. Default

Hiring Harleys for say a 3 or 4 day trip.
    A lake where we can/rent a boat for the day/fish/swim
    Anything to do with NASA / Space exploration (assume there'd be something in Houston?)
    A beach house for a few days
    Cowboy or Native American Indian towns/experiences,rodeos etc. (I hope I have used the correct terminology, my apologies if not, put it down to me being a dumb limey).
    Any local Motor racing events
    Anything else you know of that would interest a group of 50 year olds who still think they're in their teens !
    As much as I like living in Houston, it's a terrible place to visit. I would stick to the Austin/Hill Country area for your stay. There are plenty of scenic drives to be had in the Hill Country, lots of places to fish/swim and great cabins to rent in Wimberley or near Garner State Park that will give you great access to a lot of the things you want to do.

Keep in mind that Houston and its coastal area was recently hit by a strong hurricane; beach houses might be hard to come by even a year from now and no one is sure that the coast will be rebuilt by then. Also, unless you're hugely into space and have a bunch of school kids in tow, the Johnson Space Center/Space Center Houston is incredibly lame. You're far better off visiting Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

While in Austin, you could have a pseudo cowboy experience by getting some great barbecue and finding some country music. You'll find that at the Continental Club most nights.

Sara

Racing!
    Sept 2009 Schedule for Houston Raceway Park

Texas World Speedway
    Porsche Club of America – Lone Star Chapter
    WhenSep 12 – 13 2009

Texas Motorplex

For camping, boating, fishing.
    Texas Parks and Wildlife Department

Sara is totally right when she says that Houston is a terrible place to visit. It has almost zero tourist value.

However, if you are interested in history, there is the San Jacinto Battleground and the Battleship Texas.

San Jacinto was the decisive battleground in the fight for the freedom of Texas from Mexico. As you drive through Texas, you will notice that many of the counties and cities are named after people, instead of general areas. Most of these people were heroes of the Texas Revolution such as Stephen F Austin, William B Travis, Sam Houston, Tom Green, Deaf Smith and Juan Seguin.

The battleship Texas was one of the last dreadnaughts built. It survived two world wars, was converted from coal to fuel-oil boilers and fought in both the Pacific and Atlantic theatres of combat. Texas was the Bombardment Flagship for Omaha Beach. Along with her sister ship, the Arkansas, Texas supported the invasion force by shelling beach emplacements, artillery batteries and machine gun nests. At one point, Texas even closed to within 3,000 yards of the beach. She rescued dozens of injured Rangers from the cliffs at Point Du Hoc. Before she could return to the open seas, she sailed northeast to Cherbourg with the Arkansas to hammer German positions and coastal batteries. (I apologize if I seem longwinded, but there is a ton of history on that ship!)

As for Native American towns, you really won't find many in Texas. While the state has a rich Native American history, it has been foreshadowed by the Revolution.

Now to address the Texas that everyone thinks they know all about! Rodeos and cowboys! There a multitude of old-style ranches in Texas where you can still find true cowboys. They aren't exactly Roy Rogers! If you want to see a snippet of what it was like to work along the old cattle trails that ran from northern Mexico to Kansas and Nebraska, you can visit the Fort Worth Stockyards.

Rodeos are in abundance around Texas. The best ones are usually the less commercialized small-town or county fair rodeos. You'll see some mean bulls and meaner bullriders. Don't forget about the barrel racers. Those folks can do things on horseback that will make your head spin.

If you're interested in a beach house, try the area around Corpus Christi. The folks there are a fun crowd. You can charter an offshore fishing trip from one of the many captains in the vicinity.

If you and your friends are interested in good food, don't pay attention to the barbecue. Barbecue gets old after the third strip of dry, chewy brisket you bite into. Instead, search out places like Mac And Ernie's which will be sure to please the palate and pique your curiousity. There are so many excellent eateries in Texas. Do your research! Try to find firsthand accounts of a location before you plan to visit.

If you enjoy beer, many excellent breweries make their homes in Texas! If you find anyone handing you a frosted mug with a pale yellow lager in it, pour it out on the floor! Bad beer is like bad barbecue! Ignore it!
    St Arnold
    Real Ale Brewing Co
    Blue Star
    Live Oak Brewing
    Rahr & Sons

Hopefully this has helped a little.

If I'm still in Houston when you chaps roll through, I'll be happy to play tour guide for a night!

4. Default Thanks

As ever, I knew you'd come up trumps, although Houston itself doesn't sound too appealing!

Basically, we'd rent a car or bikes, and take a trip trying to mix a reasonable level of travelling and chilling out. Houston was only suggested as a landing point due to the low air fare (cheapskates huh?). The fare to Houston was £330 whereas to Dallas was £395, roughly $100 difference. If we didn't fly to Dallas I guess we'd drive from Houston so it's pretty much swings & roundabouts.

Not too sure how the economic downturn is going to pan out here, so this may all fall by the wayside, but when we get together I always like to have a few bits & pieces to put to my friends in order to sell it them. We'll probably get together once the festive season is out of the way and make our decisions then.

Thanks to Cornbread (whatever that is!) for the offer of the Tour, I assume you'd wear a hat with the word 'Guide' emblazoned across it ? As for the Beer.....

...why would we need to go there when we have this........ And as for pouring Lager down the drain,try a drop of Hurlimanns, (or Hooligans as it's also known - because that's what you can turn into after a few pints of it !).

Mmmmmmmmm. Beeeeeer.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-03-2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Preferred URL format herein

It wouldn't be proper if I didn't honor the Queen by wearing a bit of houndstooth!

6. Default Houndstooth ??????

Not so sure about the Houndstooth, I was thinking more......

Default Odd Suggestion

Talking about the difference between flying into Houston or Dallas. Have you tried looking at flying into Shreveport, LA or Longview, TX? When I was booking my flight to England I checked Dallas and on a whim checked my local airport in Shreveport. It was about $75 cheaper to fly out of Shreveport and several colleagues have been flying in and out of the airport in Longview and have claimed savings of several hundred dollars.

Shreveport is about 200 miles from Dallas and if you fly into there I can give you lots and lots of tips on things to do in East Texas on your way to Dallas or down to the Gulf Coast.

The cheaper flights only work on the way OUT of smaller towns. The airlines try to fill their seats from smaller airports by offering price breaks on flights to larger destinations. I'm 99% sure that flying a roundtrip FROM the UK to a smaller destination would not save any money.

9. Default Shreveport

I'm afraid that Cornbread (what IS that?) is right. A return flight from here to Houston is £330, (about $480 at the moment), whereas to Shreveport it's £499, (about $735).

Still waiting to see what's going to happen with the Pound against the Dollar and how the current financial situation pans out. In the meantime I'll keep looking for things to do, places to go so that when/if we do go we'll have a rough itinerary from the start.

It's a cake-like bread made with cornmeal.

If you get homesick, there is a nice little pub in the Montrose section of Houtson that serves bangers and mash, sole in its coffin, scotch collops and beef wellington. They used to have spotted dick on the menu, too.