Default Albuquerque to Houston, Jan 1-4

A friend and I will be picking up my new car in Albuquerque on Jan 1st.

Seeing as the car is rear wheel drive, I won't be able to make the well-known Jemez loop.

If anyone has suggestions on hole-in-the-wall eateries or interesting sites I'd be glad to read about them!

I plan on heading to Santa Fe the first night. We'll take some photos in the Plaza, get a slice of pizza from Upper Crust and make it back to Albuquerque in time to ride the tram up Sandia Peak to watch the sunset. The next day we will leave Albuquerque and make our way towards Midland, TX, via Roswell. The third day will probably be spent in the Hill Country portion of TX. Fredricksburg, New Braunfels and Austin are the list of usual suspects. The last day is up for grabs.

My friend is bringing her 120mm Diana film camera with her and is hoping to find some great subjects.

Hi, Cornbread.

Seeing as the car is rear wheel drive, I won't be able to make the well-known Jemez loop.
    You mean this loop? Hmm. Four-wheel drive isnít necessary if the road through the mountains is clear, but that road can have lots of icy spots in places where the road is shaded (such as north-facing slopes and through canyons). If you do end up considering that route once you get here, check with the New Mexico DOT to make sure the road is in real good shape beforehand.

If anyone has suggestions on hole-in-the-wall eateries or interesting sites I'd be glad to read about them!
    You can find some suggestions on this thread, and you might find this map of Albuquerque helpful.
    Last edited by howard; 11-30-2008 at 03:06 AM. Reason: minor correction

Thanks for the quick reply!

I planned a few things for the trip in advance. As soon as we land, I'll pick up my new car and take it for a little spin around town. We'll take a cruise up the tram to Sandia Peak in time to catch the sunset. Can't forget about a bowl of green chile stew and a cinnamon roll at The Frontier on Central across from UNM. It's a staple of the binge drinking culture of Albuquerque!

The next morning, I plan on riding up to Santa Fe and eating at the Tecolote Cafe for breakfast. We'll walk around the Plaza, pick up some trinkets from the vendors and have lunch at Upper Crust Pizza before heading to Midland, TX, to sleep for the night.

The Midland-Houston portion of the trip is what's up for grabs. I still don't know where we'll spend the third night of our trip! The bats in Austin have already migrated south and the Riverwalk in San Antonio will probably be too frigid to enjoy. If anyone can think of something inventive or new, I'd love to hear about it!