Default Calgary to Lake Louise in early Feb

Howdy y'all!
    I've done a few trips through Canada and the US but I've pretty much always been chasing the sun before! I've seen the signs advising snow chains and all that but it's never been an issue. Now though I need to get from Calgary Airport to Lake Louise (and back -- preferably in one piece!) in early-mid Feb. Is it a hassle best avoided to consider driving or should I just sit patiently at the airport and wait the couple of hours for the Greyhound bus to depart? It is probably cheaper to ride the Greyhound but I hate relying on other forms of transport when I could (hopefully) easily drive myself...

I guess it depends if you want to be independent at Lake Louise ?
    We've done the Icefield Parkway twice once in September 2003 and last year in late April. Although it's cold up there it does not snow too much (roads) and they are prepared for snow and clean up the highways, so I wouldn't worry too much and grab a car.

Default Alberta & Florida in February????

Quote Originally Posted by UKCraig View Post
    I've seen the signs advising snow chains and all that but it's never been an issue. Now though I need to get from Calgary Airport to Lake Louise (and back -- preferably in one piece!) in early-mid Feb.
    It really not a big deal and considering how you drive... I can't really believe you would be content to sit on a Greyhound bus! But I have a bigger question -- Florida and Alberta in February -- what happened to the notion of spending time in the UK?

Mark

Thanks for the info, guys. Good stuff. I remember earlier this year, driving from Kamloops to LL, seeing all manner of threatening 'you must use snow chains or be arrested and shot at dawn' type signs... I guess the route from Calgary to LL is more driveable... good news. Will look into costs asap.

Well, yeah... the plan was to go back to the UK but, seeing I have no job (or seemingly no prospect of a job), I figured I may as well take up the option of those tax-only frequent flyer flights whilst I have the option... besides, who wants to be in the UK in Feb?? :s

Okay, a car has now been booked due to a rather nicer offer from Thrifty... can't wait to catch up with my friends over there now! It should be interesting to drive in the Canadian winter... let's hope I can bag a nice powerful RWD car at the airport and have a bit of fun :)