1. Default Boston To La 1/2-1/9

Hey, I am driving out to LA for an internship for school for the semester, and I am going to be driving out for a week with my girlfriend. I am trying to plan this thing out, but I don't really know where to go and where to stop. I really want to be in Burbank, where I am living by Friday the 9th. I plan to leave on the morning of the 2nd.

So far, I figured we can go to D.C. first for a day. From there I don't really know what to hit, but I would prefer to take a southern route so that it is warmer since it is going to be January. At the end of the trip, I want to hit the 4 corners, Grand Canyon, then end up in Vegas on Thursday night before leaving Friday for LA. Any suggestions on what I should do in between?

BTW, I drive a 2005 Nissan Altima with 32k on it. I figure I am in good shape as far as that goes, since I think I get 25mpg, so I am estimating to spend around $300 in gas with the recent price drops.

Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

A trip across the country generally takes 5 days, so this doesn't give you a whole lot of wiggle room. The plan you have is about 3300 miles, which is about six 10-hour days. I would personally take Washington DC out of the trip and use the extra time to enjoy the Grand Canyon. Additionally, taking the diagonal route (such as I-90 to I-84 to I-80 to I-44 to I-40) will be faster than heading down I-95 and then West from Washington, DC.

Will you be heading back by car at the end of the semester? That would be an ideal time to head into Washington DC, before the heat and humidity of Summer have had a chance to set in.

3. Default

I am planning on driving back at the end of the semester. I plan on hitting up a bunch of baseball parks since it will be baseball season and I am a huge MLB fan.

Maybe I will take D.C. out of the plans. I have already been there anyway. I want to be in Burbank by Friday night, but I don't have to be there until Sunday since my girlfriend's flight leaves Monday morning. But I would like to be there so that we can relax for the weekend before she has to fly back.

Thanks for the reply, but what I really want to know are some good spots to stop before 4 corners, Grand Canyon, and Vegas.

Tucson, AZ

Default A Different Take

With 8 days (2nd through the 9th inclusive) you actually have plenty of time for this trip. And as long as you realize that heading south first through Washington to Nashville and I-40 is no guarantee of warm weather, there's no particular reason not to go that way. The drive between the northeast and the L.A. basin in the winter has been coming up fairly frequently lately, and you should be aware that there are three different routes that will do the trick. Try to keep your options open up until the time you leave and choose the route(s) with the best weather at the time you'll be traveling. If you do end up going by way of Four Corners and the Grand Canyon, there are plenty of plenty of attractions in Northern Arizona including drives through history and other national parks.