1. Default Insurance Across State Lines?

Hi folks,

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip east-west across the US and the most vague aspect of the planning seems to be insurance. Whilst I understand that I need an address in the States to register the car, that's easier said than done!

So here's the question: I have a friend in SF whose address I could use, BUT I'm planning on buying and insuring the car in NY. Is it possible to register the car to CA if I'm in NY?

Hope someone can help! :-)

Green County, Wisconsin

Default not really

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You wouldn't really be able to register the car in California if you purchase it in New York, because there are a number of things you have to do in person to purchase and register the car (including a smog inspection). You might be able to get some sort of a transit tag to legally move the car from NY to CA, but that would only give you a bare minimum time to get there, and without a CA Drivers License, you'd probably have a hard time getting such a tag issued.

Insurance generally must be issued in the state where the car is registered, since insurance is often required for the registration to be valid. The insurance company often has to report your insurance (or lack of insurance) to the state, and if the state doesn't hear from them, they can invalidate your registration. Every state is a little bit different in their laws, but that's a general rule to follow.

3. Default

Hi Michael, thanks for the quick response :-)

Unfortunately that's the answer I expected, but I'll keep hunting around for something. Thanks anyway!

Joplin MO

A more realistic choice may be renting a car with a one way dropoff.