1. Default Seattle -> Knoxville, TN

Hi,

I am relocating from Victoria, BC (near Seattle) to Johnson City, TN (near Knoxville) to go to school. I will be doing this trip leaving Dec. 26 and have about 1 week.

I am wondering if it would be better to go down to LA (I-5) and then take the I-40 across in the south to avoid bad winter road conditions. It would be quicker going through the midwest (Idaho, Colorado) but I am afraid that weather conditions could be much worse. Am I correct in this assumption?

Also, if I were to go the more southern route, should all-season tires be fine...or would it be worth the investment for winter tires?

Thanks, Jason

Default keep it direct

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Going Via I-5 and I-40 adds 600 miles to your trip and really is no less likely to see bad weather. In fact, since you'd have to be on the road for at least 1 extra day, you're odds of seeing bad weather would actually increase.

Using I-90 across Montana or I-80 across Wyoming would both be roughly the same distance. I would keep both options open, and not make a final decision about which of those routes to use until you see a forecast just before you leave. With a week to make this trip, you should have plenty of time, and be able to pull off the road and stop to wait out a storm should you run into weather that is beyond your comfort level.

If you have all-season tires, there's no need to buy snow tires, but having a set of cable chains with you would be prudent.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Going Via I-5 and I-40 adds 600 miles to your trip and really is no less likely to see bad weather. In fact, since you'd have to be on the road for at least 1 extra day, you're odds of seeing bad weather would actually increase.
    Thanks for your welcome..and advice Michael :)

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Using I-90 across Montana or I-80 across Wyoming would both be roughly the same distance. I would keep both options open, and not make a final decision about which of those routes to use until you see a forecast just before you leave.
    That makes sense. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by glc
    If you have all-season tires, there's no need to buy snow tires, but having a set of cable chains with you would be prudent.
    I read elsewhere that chains are a real pain in the *** to get on though..and that, even though you might have them, you may not be able to get them on properly. But, is there some states that require you to carry them??

Cable chains aren't that difficult to mount, but you should practice in good conditions before you actually have to use them. Depending on conditions, mountain states may require them to be carried and/or used. I have a set in a bag behind the seat of my truck at all times, but haven't had to actually use them - yet.