Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. Default Seattle -> Knoxville, TN

    Hi,

    I am relocating from Victoria, BC (near Seattle) to Johnson City, TN (near Knoxville) to go to school. I will be doing this trip leaving Dec. 26 and have about 1 week.

    I am wondering if it would be better to go down to LA (I-5) and then take the I-40 across in the south to avoid bad winter road conditions. It would be quicker going through the midwest (Idaho, Colorado) but I am afraid that weather conditions could be much worse. Am I correct in this assumption?

    Also, if I were to go the more southern route, should all-season tires be fine...or would it be worth the investment for winter tires?

    Thanks, Jason

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Green County, Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,063

    Default keep it direct

    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

    Going Via I-5 and I-40 adds 600 miles to your trip and really is no less likely to see bad weather. In fact, since you'd have to be on the road for at least 1 extra day, you're odds of seeing bad weather would actually increase.

    Using I-90 across Montana or I-80 across Wyoming would both be roughly the same distance. I would keep both options open, and not make a final decision about which of those routes to use until you see a forecast just before you leave. With a week to make this trip, you should have plenty of time, and be able to pull off the road and stop to wait out a storm should you run into weather that is beyond your comfort level.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Joplin MO
    Posts
    9,270

    Default

    If you have all-season tires, there's no need to buy snow tires, but having a set of cable chains with you would be prudent.

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

    Going Via I-5 and I-40 adds 600 miles to your trip and really is no less likely to see bad weather. In fact, since you'd have to be on the road for at least 1 extra day, you're odds of seeing bad weather would actually increase.
    Thanks for your welcome..and advice Michael :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Using I-90 across Montana or I-80 across Wyoming would both be roughly the same distance. I would keep both options open, and not make a final decision about which of those routes to use until you see a forecast just before you leave.
    That makes sense. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by glc
    If you have all-season tires, there's no need to buy snow tires, but having a set of cable chains with you would be prudent.
    I read elsewhere that chains are a real pain in the *** to get on though..and that, even though you might have them, you may not be able to get them on properly. But, is there some states that require you to carry them??

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Joplin MO
    Posts
    9,270

    Default

    Cable chains aren't that difficult to mount, but you should practice in good conditions before you actually have to use them. Depending on conditions, mountain states may require them to be carried and/or used. I have a set in a bag behind the seat of my truck at all times, but haven't had to actually use them - yet.

Similar Threads

  1. Seattle - San Diego: is my plan doable/enjoyable?
    By Joeri in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 11:43 AM
  2. 18 days.. from Seattle to LA or San Diego or Las Vegas
    By Ricardo in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 02:57 PM
  3. Down the West Coast: Seattle to Las Vegas
    By katherine in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-17-2007, 07:30 PM
  4. Seattle to Knoxville (Hwy 101 -> Route 66)
    By AshAndShan in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-26-2007, 12:32 PM
  5. Redwoods to Seattle – ten days on the North West Coast
    By Peter Thody in forum RoadTrip Field Reports
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2007, 04:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Find the Perfect Hotel
    Search RoadTrip Motels
    Enter city name

    Loading...



  • MORE STORIES