1. Default Road Trip: NY to LA

Hi all,

A friend and I are planning a large road trip across the US. We'd like to fly into NY and spend a long time (4-5 months) driving around the states before eventually flying out on the east coast, say in LA.

We're starting to look at the age old renting/ buying car issue. It seems likely to me that buying would be better because a bit of googling suggests that its like going to cost $6000.

We're both UK citizens and turned 21 last year. We have no idea how we go about buying a car in the US and what legal boxes need ticking. We had british drivers licenses, but is that enough? How does insurance work, is it by car or person? Basically we really need some guidance all the way here. We want get from landing in JFK to driving away. Please. I know these questions have probably been answered but I'm finding it difficult to track them down.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default as discussed

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

This idea comes up fairly often, including this thread from yesterday, so I'd start by taking a look at what's already been written to get a good basic understanding and then ask more specific questions from there

Know that there will be no way to make this cheap - because of both your age and the time you'll be on the road - and I could see $6000 being just the tip of the iceburg, no matter what route you go for your transportation.