Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Driving Conditions - Vancouver to Las Vegas Nov/Dec

We will be driving to Las Vegas around the end of November and was wondering what route is the best to avoid any snow. Last year around the same time we took the I5 route and came across a bit of a snow storm on Mt Shasta, hoping to avoid that this year since we are in a two wheel drive car. Would the Via Twin Falls route be a better bet for avoiding any high summits that would risk a snow fall?

Thanks

Default Unpredictable

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A forums.

Would the Via Twin Falls route be a better bet.
    Going via Twin falls is your most direct, and quickest route according to my mapping program anyway. However it will not be immune to adverse weather conditions as is the case with everywhere else.

Weather is unpredictable so the only thing I can advise is to check the conditions before leaving and make an informed decision then.

Have a safe journey.

3. Default

Thanks for the welcome and reply. Is there a recommended site if such a thing where you put in your route and will tell you the road conditions?

Im still at odds which route I want to take....The I5 down through Cali because its more along the warmer coast, risking the Norther Cali summits, or.....the twin falls route, which is more inland and by the looks of it, less mountainous but maybe colder????????

Each state's department of transportation website will have current highway conditions.

California
    Washington
    Oregon
    Idaho
    Utah
    Nevada

5. Default

just thought I should ask here instead of starting a new thread as I have the same question.
    Is there a route Vancouver -> Las Vegas that is least likely to have any snow on the roads/highways around mid-end of december?? I am trying to plan a roadtrip, but do not want to drive through any snow. I have never done this route before, which areas should I expect snow at? Thanks.!
    Is it less likely for me to see snow if I take the route the the left (on the picture below)

Last edited by oel; 11-21-2008 at 02:13 AM.

Default No possible answer

Welcome to the RTA Forum, oel!

The answer to your question is basically the same thing that was said in the previous posts. There simply is no way to guarentee that you won't see snow if you are traveling between these two points in December. The I-5 can see snow, particularly in the NoCal/Oregon Mountains as well as crossing the pass at Tehachapi east of Bakersfield. I-15 options can also see snow over significant portions of the route.

Guessing more than a month away which route will have better during the specific time you are traveling is a pointless and impossible challenge. Check the forecasts to see which option looks best in days leading up to your trip, but in any case, be prepared to drive through winter weather.

I hate to be a smartaleck, but if you want to travel by car from Vancouver to Las Vegas and be guaranteed a snow-free drive, plan your trip for a different time of the year. "You can't get there from here" without traveling through mountains.

8. Default

Well I think I have decided to take the Via Twin Falls route for a change of scenery instead of the I-5. from the terrain maps looks less mountainous and its less of km's.

OEL- Last year I drove that route alng the I-5 about the end of november and back up the beginning of december. On the way home we came across snow fall as we reached the summit of the Mt Shasta part of the I5 at night. I would try to plan that part of the trip during the day if I was doing it again.

Default Wait and see.

If you only have to get from A-B with no specific stops on the way is it worth making a decision now?
    Twin falls is the route I would choose subject to weather and road condition updates.

Have a safe journey.

10. Default

Thanks for the help guys.
    I guess I just gotta wait and see how the road condition will be.