Default ANCHORAGE to PHOENIX via the ROCKIES

G'Day,
    I'm a retired Aussie presently living in Switzerland, and my wife and I would like to do a July to October trip from Anchorage to Mexico in an RV, travelling on what William Least Heat-Moon called "The Blue Highways", the back roads - we're not interested in the freeways etc & we have plenty of time.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for must-see places, places to avoid, titles of Books that I could read, and so on.

Suggestions re buying/selling an RV - traps to watch out for, and so on.

With thanks,
    DickyBeach

Default Starting in Anchorage?

Quote Originally Posted by DickyBeach View Post
    I'm a retired Aussie presently living in Switzerland, and my wife and I would like to do a July to October trip from Anchorage to Mexico in an RV,
    I think you might have some problems purchasing a RV in anchorage in July, driving it into Canada and back into the USA and thence to Mexico -- will you be using a Swiss passport or an Australian? Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! There are plenty of ideas and suggestions about purchasing road trip vehicles when one is not an American citizen here's a post to get started.
    Some of the legalities you will face
    A few ideas from someone who is doing it now.
    I'd appreciate any suggestions for must-see places, places to avoid, titles of Books that I could read, and so on.
    Take a cruise through our book recommendations here.

Mark

The one must have book is the The Milepost, it is a hyper detailed guide to the roads from Ak to the lower 48. From Ak to the lower 48 you don't have that many choices of road. there are a lot of miles to drive but only one road from Ak through most of Canada, then you can choose to go down the west coast or to the upper midwest. In the lower 48 you will have many choices and you want to decide what to see first, then choose your route. From Ak to the rest of the country you will have a choice of many beautiful natural places. So what do you like to do? hike, fish, photography, odd little towns?

greg in ak