1. Default Out West Road Trip

Do I need to book motels in advance or are they readily available.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default reading

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I suggest you read our article in the planning section called Roadtrip Reservations, Do you need them?

Joplin MO

I very seldom make reservations. I've yet to be shut out completely coming in cold off the road, but I have had issues when I've hit a town where something is going on and/or and I show up real late in the evening. This can make you have to check several places and take a room at a high price. Weekends in resort areas can be a problem.

Case in point - a couple years ago I was traveling back from the west coast - I hit Vegas about 7pm and decided I didn't want to stay there. On down the road in Boulder City, there was not a room to be had due to something going on in town, and it was Saturday night. I really wanted to go over the dam during the day, but I didn't want to backtrack to Vegas. I headed over the dam and made it to Kingman. It's now after 10pm, and something was going on there too. I wound up paying almost $100 for a room at the Super 8, and it was their last room. In hindsight, I should have stayed in Vegas, I would have had a lot more enjoyable $100 stay.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default More information needed

Quote Originally Posted by mlz View Post
    Do I need to book motels in advance or are they readily available.
    This really depends on where and when you will be traveling. If you are heading some place famous, say, the Grand Canyon during a peak holiday, such as July 4th, then I would recommend it. On the other hand, if you are going to an out of the way location in Colorado, chances are you won't need reservations.

If there is a place that I know I want to stay at, and I'll be able to make it for the reservation, I will reserve a spot. On the other hand, if I'm on a trip that has no set itinerary, making reservations just makes me feel as though I have to stick to a schedule.