1. Default New York to Florida in an RV

Okay - so here's the deal-e-o. There are 6 of us that are renting an RV, and driving down to Florida in order to catch a cruise ship leaving out of Miami. Our plan, as it stands right now, is to leave really early Saturday morning, and arrive in Florida sometime on Sunday, with plenty of time to get to the ship for our cruise. We have already secured a place to park the RV for the week, but are now looking to plan out the drive portion of the trip. We are all from Long Island, and live within a few miles of one another. We have at least 2, and possibly as many as 4 folks who are more than willing to drive the RV (and who have experience driving larger vehicles). Our plan is to take a lot of breaks, but not to actually stop for the night, as there are plenty of places to sack out in the vehicle. One of the folks is actually used to driving at night and prefers it.

We are looking for places to stop along the way that are not that far off of the I 95 beaten path, that can accommodate an RV for parking, and that we can stretch our legs that are not necessarily a typical truck stop.

Additionally - the timeframe of the trip is that we would drive down on January 17th, and arrive sometime on January 18th. The return trip would be us heading back on the road on Jan 25th, and arriving in NY sometime on the 26th.

Any ideas...?

(BTW - just as an FYI - the husband and I once made an unexpected marathon drive to Florida to catch a cruise when we missed our flight - 22 hours stopping for just bathrooms and food. We would like this drive down to be a little bit more leasurely, and more comfy, which is why we are taking an RV and not packing into a van. :) )
    Last edited by MonaCK; 11-17-2008 at 11:05 PM.

Default More comfortable ?

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums,

We are looking for places to stop along the way that are not that far off of the I 95 beaten path, that can accommodate an RV for parking, and that we can stretch our legs that are not necessarily a typical truck stop.
    I have no experience of your route but here is a list from Buck of rest stops just of the Interstates.

Additionally - the timeframe of the trip is that we would drive down on January 17th, and arrive sometime on January 18th. The return trip would be us heading back on the road on Jan 25th, and arriving in NY sometime on the 26th.
    I don't often say this, but wouldn't getting a flight be a better option [and cheaper]. You pretty much are paying for a 10 day R.V rental doing 2 [speed ] runs and parking it up for a week, is that correct?

We would like this drive down to be a little bit more leasurely, and more comfy, which is why we are taking an RV and not packing into a van. :) )
    I am not sure this your best option. An R.V is slower going than a smaller van which will probably put you in the 25 hour driving over 2 days bracket. Whilst driving all passengers have to be belted up and you cannot sleep in the beds while on the go. Add to that the fact you will be sitting on quite a hard dinette bench during this drive I doubt you will find it too comfortable compared to a car seat.
    I am a big fan of R.V. travel [believe ot or not LOL !] but in this case I think even 2 cars and a Motel would be a better choice on this occasion.

Default agreed

I'm in agreement here, I just don't see how this plan makes much sense.

First of all, you've got the cost. Renting an RV for 10 days, isn't going to be cheap, especially when you're going to have to park it for the vast majority of your trip. If you have to pay to park, then you'll also likely be paying more to park a large vehicle.

I-95 is heavily traveled the whole way, and you won't have any problems finding services anywhere along the route. However, being that you're traveling in January, you should be prepared to be dealing with winter weather, and you'll be traveling in a larger, slower vehicle.

There are also the elements that Dave as brought up that its not going to be as easy to sleep in the RV while you are driving as you seem to think. You'll also need to think of this drive as work if you really do plan to drive straight through, and make sure that people are sleeping when they aren't driving. Shift driving is a learned art to a degree, and the Highway Patrol all along I-95 can tell you thousands of stories about crashes caused by drowsy drivers who tryed to drive from NY to FL without stopping for sleep.

I think this is an idea that looks great on paper, but it isn't actually as practical as it might seem. I think flying would likely be a better choice than this plan, but I would also give a serious look to Amtrak which would seem to do a better and cheaper job of accomplishing this goal.

4. Default

YOu have given us a lot to think about - and I really appreciate the advice. Thank you :)