1. Default Florida to Colorado

Hello, I'm planning a trip out, after finding myself nothing to do and nothing holding me down in Florida anymore. I'm 25, living out of a van down by the river.. haha.. seriously. Im an experienced camper, have a 1973 VW Westfalia, that I know inside and out, like.. rebuilding on the side of the road wise. I have a tent, camp stove, blankets, food, lanterns, the usual to keep alive on the road. I don't have much cash at hand, unfortunately... few hundred dollars, at least the bus gets good gas mileage.

Anyways, I'm going solo route ( unless I find a copilot ). I'm looking for a good, slow route out west for the most part. I wish to go through Arkansas, mainly due to people's talk about crystals out there. I do many hobbies, metaphysical type, as well as wire wrapping, hence crystals... thats what I plan on trying to do for extra income along the road. I'm not afraid to stop in a town for a few days to do some daily labor. I've done almost everything under the Florida sun..

I'm just looking for overall advice for this trip. Also I've heard of gas vouchers from local churches for those in need. If stuff gets too dismayed, I'm already prepared to throw what I have on my back and thumb it. Any suggestions, towns, overall help for this journey?

Green County, Wisconsin

Default plodding along

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I don't know much about the crystal aspect of your trip, but that certainly sounds like something that you'll be focusing some of your destinations around.

Otherwise, I really don't think there is much more to plan your trip other than to just get out there. I don't know of any one road or towns that would be better than others for this kind of trip, so just get on an westbound route and see where you end up.

One thing that won't get you much respect around here is looking for charities while on the road. Churches and other groups have a hard enough time trying to fill the needs of their community, especially in the current economy, that coming into their town as a traveler and taking away those resources from those who really need it is a very selfish idea. Traveling is a choice, and its not always a cheap one, if you don't think you can afford it without putting your hand out, then you should probably rethink doing the trip at all.