1. Default Rethinking Spring trip

Thanks to all of those who answered my initial plea/post to Colorado. After some thought, we have concluded that trip is a bit too much for us.

We are rethinking of doing a round trip from Los Angeles up to the Grand Canyon (2 days stay?) and head into the beautiful New Mexico and then swing around through lower Arizona.

We looked at 2009 ClassC 26' and also a 31'. Really, I am terrified to drive the bigger rv.

Dates are now March 19th-25th approx.

So my question to you experts, is your opinions and assistance in getting a great trip planned. One time we drove through the Grand Canyon and it was fogged out. lol -

We home school and would like to possibly see some great parks, museums perhaps, and any other natural or otherwise "must sees".

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 11-12-2008 at 11:50 AM. Reason: linked to previous thread

Default Terrified Rarely Makes for an Enjoyable Trip

I've got to ask, if you are terrified of driving an RV, then why are you going this route for your vacation?

There is nothing wrong with traveling in an RV, and it certainly can make for a great experience if that's what you are looking for. However, sometimes I get the impression that people thing that an RV is the only way to do a roadtrip, and that's simply not the case.

An RV trip is more expensive than traveling by car and motel, you're in a bigger less manuverable vehicle, and they require a bit more work dealing with hook-ups and water/waste tanks.

One other thought, if you plan to focus this trip on Arizona and New Mexico, then LA doesn't seem like a great place to start. Las Vegas or Phoenix would make more sense to me.

3. Default

Well this idea of RV travel is really hubby's interest/idea and I am game. (If I had my choice we would go island hopping in the Carribean.) I would share the driving but the larger RV is intimidating. We have talked about the labor of the RV and perhaps it is more hastle then not. But then again it could be a blast. lol -

We did talk about the possibility of just driving the car - and staying at hotels - and it is a possability but then again, we are willing to rent an RV for a new experience.

Lots of choices for sure.

We would depart Los Angeles out of convienant location:)

Default Cptn at the helm

Hi there,

We looked at 2009 ClassC 26' and also a 31'. Really, I am terrified to drive the bigger rv.
    My wife is terrified to, but luckily I prefer to be driving and enjoy it. If the Cptn is happy to do all the driving if need be, then there's no problem, if not I would re-consider as when you get there it's to late.
    With 3 of you [?] the 26 ft will be big enough although the width remains the same.

Dates are now March 19th-25th approx.
    Is this correct ? Your original trip was 2 weeks [?]

We are rethinking of doing a round trip from Los Angeles up to the Grand Canyon (2 days stay?) and head into the beautiful New Mexico and then swing around through lower Arizona.
    With just 6 days and 2 of those in the Grand canyon most of your other time will be getting there and back with time for a couple of detours. Possibly Death Valley and some of the old route'66 outgoing and then down through Sedona [Red rock] and Joshua tree on your return.

We have talked about the labor of the RV and perhaps it is more hastle then not. But then again it could be a blast. lol -
    As long as you know what you are letting yourself in for and are prepared they are no [or little] hassel [apart from the driving possibly] and it will be a blast. The setting up is very easy as is filling and emptying tanks, but remember it's a form of camping and not hotel rooms, you have to know what you want.
    While you are at the G/C if you use one of there campgrounds [book in advance] such as Mather you can use the free shuttle bus system around the park, which means time off from driving and no need to set up.

We would depart Los Angeles out of convienant location:)
    As Michael said, it isn't the most convenient for your particular trip and if you only have 6 days in total it's not somewhere you will have time to explore.

Let us know your thoughts.