Default NH to Seattle Summer 09

Hello, I turn 23 in April 09. And by summer 09 I plan on moving to Seattle.
    I'll be saving my money, working two jobs, and head out June.

All I know as of now is that I will save every penny and that I have a dependable car - it's an 07 Chevy. All I plan on taking with me on the trip is my clothes, laptop, and minor everyday essentials.

I've lived primarily in NH my whole life. But I've lived in Hawaii also & Oregon most recently for a year two years ago. I do have family in Oregon. Which is where I'll stop first before Seattle.

Anyway, I am here for all the advice I can get financial wise and scenic wise.

I initially thought head straight through the middle of the U.S. to Oregon. But now that I've found this site, I realized if I am going to do this now, should I make it worth it?

I LOVE the ocean. I could live there if I could afford it. So I wonder if it is possible, for me in my situation, to travel the coast of the U.S.?

Like head from NH through the Carolinas, pass through Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, head up through Cali and end in oregon. But then I wonder how much longer that would take.. I figure I'd get out in and enjoy a few hours in every state and see some good sites. And stay in campgrounds since they're cheaper than motels.

But my issue is that I'll be alone. And I'm only 22 right now. And not to sound vain, because I am not, but I do generally get hit on a lot by men. A lot.

So the question of my safety plays a hand - big time. I am not afriad at all - which is why I think I need advice. I am extactic at the thought of finally taking a road trip across the U.S. I've always wanted to since I was a kid.

Now that I want to move again across the country, I figure since I need my car wherever I move, I should make this road trip worth it.

Should I cut through the U.S. through all the northern states? Or take the coastal trip down south and then up through cali. How much longer would that take? and most importantly, how much money in gas?

I think it is more logical for me to take the straight route. Even with that route, how much in gas would you guys say in money in gas, cheap food, and campgrounds? And is it gernally safe for a single young woman to travel like that in campgrounds?
    Or am I being stubborn and too independent thinking I'll be okay by myself at campgrounds?

I already am saving for my aparmtent in Seattle, car payments, etc. But as far as my road trip total cost - what should I shoot for?

Thank you for the time to read & any help! Much appreciated :)
    Last edited by ashley22; 11-12-2008 at 11:39 AM.

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashley22 View Post
    I initially thought head straight through the middle of the U.S. to Oregon. But now that I've found this site, I realized if I am going to do this now, should I make it worth it?

I LOVE the ocean. I could live there if I could afford it. So I wonder if it is possible, for me in my situation, to travel the coast of the U.S.?

Like head from NH through the Carolinas, pass through Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, head up through Cali and end in oregon. But then I wonder how much longer that would take..
    How much time do you have for this trip?

I figure I'd get out in and enjoy a few hours in every state and see some good sites. And stay in campgrounds since they're cheaper than motels.
    A few hours is perhaps an option in the East, but a necessity in the West!

But my issue is that I'll be alone. And I'm only 22 right now. And not to sound vain, because I am not, but I do generally get hit on a lot by men. A lot.

So the question of my safety plays a hand - big time. I am not afriad at all - which is why I think I need advice. I am extactic at the thought of finally taking a road trip across the U.S. I've always wanted to since I was a kid.
    You're certainly not the first woman to travel alone. Here is an excellent thread about such a situation. As far as getting hit on, well, it's no different on the road than it is at home. Use your own better judgement. I don't know that campgrounds are generally considered places people hook up, anyway.

Should I cut through the U.S. through all the northern states? Or take the coastal trip down south and then up through cali. How much longer would that take? and most importantly, how much money in gas?
    I'd say that going South could add about 7-9 days to this trip. Of course, you could spend that much time visiting places in the Northern sections, too. Fuel wise depends on your car's mileage. A "Chevy" could be anything - Cobalt, Impala, ZR1 Corvette...

Or am I being stubborn and too independent thinking I'll be okay by myself at campgrounds?
    I don't think you'll hear anyone hear try to discourage you, but we will recommend that you keep your wits about you and, if you feel uncomfortable with any place, then move on. I credit the media with creating an air of fear about solo road trips.

I already am saving for my aparmtent in Seattle, car payments, etc. But as far as my road trip total cost - what should I shoot for?
    I would say that $100/day is not an unrealistic figure. Remember that there is a difference between cheap food and good, inexpensive food. After a few days of living off of fast food, you're going to feel it, especially spending a lot of time behind the wheel.

thanks man for replying.

To answer the questions, I have a Chevy Colbalt 07.

I have more time in the world. I'm literally taking time off from my hectic life to experience life (nature) and move to Washington. So, I have no time limit for this roadtrip. More of just a budget.

And the whole hitting on thing, I just thought of truckers and what not. And just random men in general when I'm out. And yes I also blam the media for that worry!

Thanks again