Default San Diego-Chicago-San Francisco

Hello everyone!
    A few friends and I are planning a trip beginning in SD to Chicago and ending up back in our home in SF.

We will be departing SD around 9PM on 12/26 ...we're pretty open about where we want to stop along the way, but we want to be IN Chicago on 12/30/08 (late night is fine...) and be back in SF by 01/04/09.

I know it's kind of a trek, but we'll be taking shifts for the drive as we'd rather enjoy three or four full days somewhere then a few hours in a bunch of places.
    ....So far, the path looks like CA-NV-UT-CO-NE-IA-IL.....

Any suggestions as to where to spend our days? We're perfectly ok with one day somewhere before Chicago (possibly 12/28 in Nebraska?), leave early 12/29 from NE to be in Chicago by around 10PM on 12/29, enjoy New Years, leave 1/1 LATE..to arrive in Utah by late 1/2. Enjoy a full day in UT(1/3), leave early 1/4 to be home by LATE 1/4.

Wooo...is this realistic? We know we'll be pretty sleep deprived, but I think it shouldn't be too bad and it'll all be well worth it.
    I appreciate all suggestions! Thanks!!

Default Yes (East) and No (West)

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You know, given your parameters (multiple drivers and a moderate amount of time) your drive to Chicago shouldn't be as bad as you think. You can count on covering around 550-600 miles in a steady day of driving with just enough time out of the car for meals and R&R breaks. That means you can make the drive to Chicago in about 3½ days, and since you have 4+ days at your disposal, you can afford to spend nearly a day somewhere. I'd suggest taking a break about half way and spending some time in Rocky Mountain National Park north of Denver.

However, your return drive is just going to be too much for any enjoyment, I'm afraid. You'll need to cover 700 miles a day at a minimum, and while yes you can do that by driving into the night, that is no way to get the sleep you'll need to make the trip safely. I'd really try to scrape up another day for the drive back to San Francisco.

AZBuck

Default have you done this before

Quote Originally Posted by vickyvee View Post
    I know it's kind of a trek, but we'll be taking shifts for the drive as we'd rather enjoy three or four full days somewhere then a few hours in a bunch of places.
    ....So far, the path looks like CA-NV-UT-CO-NE-IA-IL.....
    Have you ever traveled like this, and do you have any experience driving in shifts? What system do you plan to have in place to do this safely?

enjoy New Years, leave 1/1 LATE..to arrive in Utah by late 1/2.
    Sorry, but unless you can bend the rules of time and space, that simply isn't going to be possible.

Its 1400 miles from Chicago to Moab, which is a stretch to do in 2 full days, it simply can't be done in one. You need to be on the road for more than 24 hours to cover this distance. Simply put, if you value the safety of yourself and others on the road, you won't try to do this.

Wooo...is this realistic? We know we'll be pretty sleep deprived, but I think it shouldn't be too bad and it'll all be well worth it.
    I appreciate all suggestions!
    No I don't think this is particularly realistic. First of all, I know very few people who could find enjoyment in a trip like this. You will be so exhausted that by the time you get to your "fun days" to explore, you will be so tired that you either won't be able to enjoy them, or you will simply need to sleep through them.

Second, and far more importantly, Planning a trip where you know you will be Sleep Deprived is a really bad idea. Driving while tired is just as dangerous as driving drunk. Would you ever say, "I know we'll be driving pretty drunk, but I think it shouldn't be too band and it will all be well worth it?"

This has all the signs of being a really bad idea. If you've got a solid plan to do this trip in a safe manner, I'd love to hear it, but it doesn't look good from what you've told us so far.

I agree with Michael. From Chicago to Utah in 24 hrs isn't a good idea. I was a long distance truck driver for 30 years and I wouldn't attempt that. Even driving in shifts is going to leave everyone too tired to do anything other than rest once you get there. If you were to run 70 mph all the way and just stop for food and fuel and bathroom breaks you would just barely make it. If you hit any weather related slowdowns you will be out of your time frame anyway. I have run across I 80 in winter many times and snow and ice are common occurances this time of year that you have to slow down for. My advice would be to take an extra day or two so the trip can be done safely.

Default Enjoy new years eve ?

Hi there,
    I agree with the others it's a lot to do and I can't see that you could relax and enjoy New years and then cover the miles home afterwards without being totally exhausted.

This has me a little confused ? It goes against your whole trip plan.
    If you fancy New years in Chicago have you considered flying in and out and doing some day trips in a rental whilst there, I think it may be more beneficial
    given the time restraints. Either that or find another destination covering less miles.

Have fun.