1. Default Urgent advice needed please!yosemite/lake tahoe/lassen and Mt Shasta

Hi everyone,

please can someone who knows about whether roads are open and weather conditions please advise: We are a couple with a small toddler from the UK. We are starting our road trip at the end of this week starting at San francisco with our jeep Cherokee, driving to yosemite, then up to lake tahoe. The plan was then to continue up towards lassen volcanic national park and then over the top of california and come down the west side via Humboldt Redwoods state park and the avenue of the giants. At the end we are going to monterey and back up to san francisco. I've only just discovered this website through a colleague who has scared us that the roads might be closed. Wehave already booked and paid for accomodation in Yosemite at evergreen lodge and then in chester and mccloud and then in sanoma, and monterey. Please can someone advise us on whether this route is possible at the moment and any advice about roads to take etc..and whether we are completelt stupid to be doing this route especially with a small child at this time of year. thank you to anyone who can advise us before we go. also, how can i make a route of our trip.

very busy medic mum

Default No need for panic.

Hello there and welcome to the R.T.A. forums.

As far as being able to do your trip you should be fine, but the weather being what it is [unpredictable] you will need to check conditions as you go.
    The main Interstates are usually fine but just about anywhere can witness snow or a storm and could cause delays.

The Tioga pass [HWY120] that crosses the Sierra's from Yosemite is closed at present and we are unsure as to whether it will re open or not this season which would mean remaining closed untill May or June so you may have to go north on the 49 and then on the 50 or I-80 to Tahoe.

You can get up to date info from the N.P.S site for all parks, here it shows that presently the main park road in Lassen park is closed.
    You can get weather updates from the Internet such as Wunderground. When you are there you will be able to keep updated from the comfort of your hotel room with the telly.
    For looking at routes you can use google maps or windows live local to name a couple but it's worth popping down your local bookstore [WH smiths etc] and get a paper map.

Remember, thousands of motorists use these roads to go about there daily business, so no it is not stupid. Ask if there is anything else you would like help with.

Have a great trip Dave.

Link for California road info
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 11-10-2008 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Added link

3. Default thank you

Thank you Southwest Dave, I was about to start to panic..it's tricky trying to plan this trip from thousands of miles away having never been to the USA. So Tioga pass is closed,that's east of Yosemite right? But if we are driving from San Francisco directly to Yosemite, is that part of HWY120 open at the moment? Can we drive from San Francisco to Yosemite? Please take a minute to look at this route as follows...We've got directions from San Francisco to Yosemite: from San francisco take I-80, then I-580 east then I-205 then CA-120 east and follow signs to manteca, then take CA-99 North and stay on CA-120 East...then cont on CA-120 East to Oakdale to yosemite junction and cont east through Groveland

another question, even if lassen park is closed is it still possible to go north bypassing the park up in the direction of Mount Shasta?

thanks again for you reassurance and advice. travelling with a small child you just don't want to leave stuff to chance.

Default Better safe then sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by medicmum View Post
    So Tioga pass is closed,that's east of Yosemite right? But if we are driving from San Francisco directly to Yosemite, is that part of HWY120 open at the moment? Can we drive from San Francisco to Yosemite? Please take a minute to look at this route as follows...We've got directions from San Francisco to Yosemite: from San francisco take I-80, then I-580 east then I-205 then CA-120 east and follow signs to manteca, then take CA-99 North and stay on CA-120 East...then cont on CA-120 East to Oakdale to yosemite junction and cont east through Groveland
    That's O.K. When you get to Yosemite the 120 goes up and over the Tioga pass [crossing the sierra's from West to East ] but you will take the Big Oak flat road into Yosemite valley and the 140 which will be signed.

another question, even if lassen park is closed is it still possible to go north bypassing the park up in the direction of Mount Shasta?
    Yes, there will be lots of route options open to you but as previous mentioned keep an eye on forecasts/ road conditons. You can use 511 [road info] for updates if you are unsure whilst travelling.

travelling with a small child you just don't want to leave stuff to chance.
    I understand. Expect cold weather and pack lots of layered clothing.

Have fun.