1. Default Help - Leaving Wed 11/12 So. Cal to K.C., MO

Hi, We are leaving this coming Wednesday morning(11/12)from Southern California (San Bernardino County) to Kansas City, MO. We need to be there by Thurs evening at, hopefully, a somewhat decent hour. There seem to be many possible routes - any ideas on: a) best route; b) any roads to avoid; and c) a place to stay the night along the way that is between 1/2 and 2/3rds of the way there?

Thanks!!!

Default A lot for 2 day's

Hello and welcome to R.T.A.

There doesn't appear to be much in taking either I-15 and I-70 through Denver or;
    I-40 and US 54 onto I-35/I-335 [Kansas turnpike] and then I-70.

The first one being slightly quicker according to my mapping programme but you might want to check the weather forecasts before leaving to see what you may expect on either route. At approx 1500 miles you are looking at two very long days of driving, in the region of 13-14 hours per day I would estimate, so you will need an early start and push on as far as it is safe to do so in your first day. However it will be extremely tiring and trying to get away Tues p.m. and getting a few hours in would make a big difference if this is possible.

Have a safe journey.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 11-10-2008 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Clarity

That is definitely a speed run. If you take I-15 to I-70, the halfway point is Grand Junction, CO, and there isn't a heck of a lot between there and Denver except ski resort towns. The whole thing is approximately 1600 miles.

Going the more southern route, that adds about 100 miles and the halfway point is between Albuquerque and Santa Rosa, NM. I'd probably try to make Amarillo. If you go that way, I'd take I-40 to OKC, then I-44 to Tulsa and Joplin, then US-71 to KC. Although US-54 cuts off a lot of miles, you won't be able to make the same speed as you would sticking to the Interstates. US-71 is near Interstate quality from Joplin to KC, with a 70 mph speed limit and not a single traffic light or town to go through.

If you decide to take US-54, I'd stop for the night in Tucumcari and get a early start, it's over 400 miles from there to Wichita and not too many places to stay.

I would make the decision on which way to go at the last minute dependent on the weather conditions and forecast. The likelihood of snow and ice is there on either route, but the mountains are lower on I-40.

Just to give you an idea - I live in Joplin and go out to San Diego once or twice a year, and I take 3 days. I've contemplated trying a 2 day speed run, but it's just a bit too much for me. I might try it in the summer when there's light late, but not in the winter.

I see you said "we" - I hope there will be more than one driver if you do have to do this in 2 days.

Default decent hour

I will echo the previous posters in saying that this is a very mammoth drive, and you'll be looking at two very long days at the wheel. When you say you hope to arrive at a decent hour on thursday, you'd likely have to leave at near dawn just to make it there by 9 or 10 at night.

For routes, I agree that I-15 to I-70 is your best bet. Its much shorter than other options and will allow you to maintain highway speeds. It is already at the razor edge of what could be a safe distance to drive in a day. Any of the I-40 based options, be it cutting north via US-54, I-35, or US-71, will either push you over 800 miles per day or force you to drive slightly less, but hundreds of miles those miles will be on 2 lane roads. I don't like either of those options for a safe trip.

Grand Junction will likely have the most hotel options for rougly the halfway point, but its a little less than halfway, and I like to try to get a little farther on the first day. I'd aim for the Glenwood Springs area, which has quite a few motels to pick from, although they may be more expensive because of their location.

The I-40/I-44/US-71 option does not involve any 2 lane roads. I make the Joplin/KC run about once a month and it's just like taking an Interstate and traffic is always light no matter what time of day, I seldom have to kick it out of cruise control. It's less than 2 hours longer than the I-15/I-70 option. Weather permitting, the I-15/I-70 option is the shortest and fastest. With bad weather in the Rockies, the southern option would make for a safer trip and possibly just as fast if not faster. You just have to see what's going on around Flagstaff.

Default Us-71

US-71 is a 4 lane route all the way from I-44 to KC, and its a great route between the two places, I've used it myself for that purpose, but I don't think its a good choice for this trip, even as a route to avoid the Rockies.

And the reason is remarkably simple: Using I-35 via Wichita between OKC and KC is about 30 miles shorter than going I-44 and US-71 via Tulsa. Unless the destination is

When I was talking about 2 lane roads, I was refereing to US-54. I've got to think the difference in travel time between US-54 and I-35 is pretty close. I'd think the 100 miles in distance saved would be about equal to the time you'd lose by traveling on the slower road. On a speed run, I'd lean towards I-35, because there are less things that could potentially slow you down during Interstate Travel.

That I can buy. 40 to OKC, then 35 to KC. Then again, it may depend exactly where you need to go in the KC area (is this what you were going to say and didn't finish?). 71 might be a bit better if you are going to the southeast side.

Either way involves toll roads, by the way.

Default unless...

(is this what you were going to say and didn't finish?).
    Yeah, as I was saying, unless you were going to a suburb south of 435, then I'd think about using US-71.

9. Default

Thanks for all the great input! I know it is a rather "ambitious" drive but we will get an early start and do have three drivers who can rotate, so hopefully we won't wear out too much.

Thanks again...CLW