Thread: Bryce Canyon

1. Default Bryce Canyon

Hi all,
    I'm from London (UK) and I would really like to plan a visit to Bryce Canyon in Summer 2009. However, although I'm sure it's worthy to visit, I wouldn't want to spend all those hours on a plane just to see one thing!
    Could you please help me to plan the rest of my trip (two weeks max), possible excluding Las Vegas, as I've been there already...
    Thank you very much!

Default So much

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A forums.

Bryce is a wonderful place but it's also surrounded by other amazing places. Nearby are many wonderful parks such as Zion, Capitol reef, Grand canyon, Monument valley, Death valley and further afield Yosemite and so on. I think you need to research a little and find a starting point for your trip. San Francisco, L.A, and Vegas are popular and even Denver would be a possibility.[Rocky and Arches N.P's and many more.] You could drive along Scenic 12 in Bryce country.
    For locating National parks there is no better way than to use the NPS website.
    I would search the forums and web to get some ideas and once you have a base we can help you piece your trip together. This was our trip last year that included Bryce Canyon [albeit in an R.V.] but it might give you some ideas as to whats possible.

Have a look around [there is also great info to be found in the Roadtrip planning section in the green bar at the top of the page] and tell us a little more of what you are looking for from the trip and how much you want to be on the move. Some people like to spend a night or two and move on others prefer less miles and longer stays.

Dave
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 11-09-2008 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Added link

3. Default

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.

I had a look at the map and although I would like to visit as much as possible, I understand distances are huge and I cannot do everything in two weeks. Moreover, my parents will join us too, therefore I don’t want to “stress” them too much!

I was thinking to land in San Francisco and take an internal flight to Denver. We will probably stop in San Francisco for a couple of days, so the time for exploring will be reduced.

OPTION 1:

My idea (but you might think that it’s crazy!) is to visit all the following places in say 12/13 days:

 Antelope Canyon
     Monument Valley
     Zion National Park
     Bryce Canyon
     Lake Powell
     Arches National Park (optional)
     Salt Lake City (to take the flight back to SF)

Do you think I will manage to see all these sites in such a short time?

OPTION 2:

Otherwise I suppose I can skip Antelope Canyon and start instead from Salt Lake City. That should shorten the trip considerably. We could actually drive to Vegas too (my boyfriend and I have been there already, but my parents would probably like to see it) and take the flight back to SF from there.

Last question, would September be an ideal time for this kind of route?

Thank you so much for all your help!

4. Default

Dave,

I forgot to mention that I have already visited Grand Canyon, Death Valley and Yosemite Park, hence I did not include them in my list.

F

Default San Francisco ?

Hi again,

A couple of things.

I was thinking to land in San Francisco and take an internal flight to Denver. We will probably stop in San Francisco for a couple of days, so the time for exploring will be reduced.
    Is S/F a must do as you could fly direct into Denver and do a loop of the places you have mentioned without the time and expense of internal flights.

OPTION 1:

My idea (but you might think that it’s crazy!) is to visit all the following places in say 12/13 days:

 Antelope Canyon
     Monument Valley
     Zion National Park
     Bryce Canyon
     Lake Powell
     Arches National Park (optional)
     Salt Lake City (to take the flight back to SF)

Do you think I will manage to see all these sites in such a short time?
    The places you have listed can be done at a comfortable pace and are all amazing places to visit.

OPTION 2:

Otherwise I suppose I can skip Antelope Canyon and start instead from Salt Lake City. That should shorten the trip considerably. We could actually drive to Vegas too (my boyfriend and I have been there already, but my parents would probably like to see it) and take the flight back to SF from there.
    Antelope canyon is right in the heart of your trip and Arches would be out on a limb if any. Again, depending on whether S/F is a must for you or not it would make more sense to fly in and out of Vegas, let your parents have a look around and it's actually the best situated starting and finishing place for you planned trip.

If S/F is a must see for you then as far as internal flights go I would still go in and out of Vegas, but by the time you check in and out I would look at driving as a strong option. Not only flying in and out of city's will be costly and time consuming if you use 2 different airports you will need two rental cars and you will have two one way drop off charges.

Last question, would September be an ideal time for this kind of route?
    I think Sept and Oct are great times to travel. The crowds and high temps start to drop off and they are usually quite dry months. The nights can start to get chilly [cold] on the high ground but it's crisp, not like the damp feel we get here in the U.K.
    Having said that, we can't predict the weather at any given time.

Let us know what your thoughts are and then we can help you piece it together.

My favorite time to make such a trip is from mid september to mid october. Least timeconsuming will be to fly Salt Lake City and leave from Las Vegas but also a roundtrip from Las Vegas is good as mentioned before. You can see all sights following this route:
    Day 1: Arrive Vegas, stay Vegas.
    Day 2: Drive to Zion NP visiting Valley of Fire SP on your way.
    Day 3: All day for Zion
    Day 4: Zion to Bryce (2 hours) visit to Bryce
    Day 5: Bryce to Page (3 hours). Visit to Antelope Canyon (best visited midday)
    Day 6: Page. Maybe a smooth riverraft on Colorado River. like here.
    also see Glen Canyon Dam and Horseshoebend overlook.
    Day 7: Drive from Page to Monument valley and explore MV. Maybe stop at Navajo NM on your way.
    Day 8: Take all day for the drive between MV and Moab. Visits to Mexican Hat, Gooseneck SP, Moki Dugway, Muley Point, Natural Bridges NM,Edge of the Cedars SP, The Needles section of Canyonlands NP etc. So much to see but you can't visit them all.
    Day 9: Spend all day around Moab
    Day 10: Same
    Day 11: Drive from Moab to Las Vegas (7 hours)
    Day 12: Las Vegas
    Day 13: Home planning your next trip.
    You can reverse this route of course and drive longest distance first. Many more options but you won't regret this trip!
    Yeehaw
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 11-12-2008 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Preferred link format

7. Default

Thank you both for your great suggestions!
    I will post a draft itinerary soon!