1. Default Roadtrip From Miami To San Francisco

Hi
    We are two families from Norway,who are planning a roadtrip in RV`s from Miami to San Francisco,from june 20 to July 17 2009
    We plan to go to the Florida keys,Disney World,Gran canyon,Las Vegas;San Diego.Los Angeles,and end the trip in San Francisco.
    What else is a "must see" on this route?
    Is there any particual spot to keep away from(dangerous)?
    Hints and tips are welcomed.

regards
    jarle

Default A Few to See

Velkommen! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Let's get this out of the way first. While there are a few specific neighborhoods in America that might be considered unsafe, they are few and far between and your own common sense will be your best guide as to when you might have stumbled in to one. I wouldn't spend even one minute worrying about it before your trip. Worry instead about finding the time for all the great places to see between Miami and San Francisco including these from earlier today as well as the Alamo and River Walk in San Antonio, Big Bend and Carlsbad Caverns National Parks (although both of those are a bit off your direct route), Kartchner Caverns, the Desert Museum, Balboa Park, and finish up with a drive up the Pacific Coast Highway (CA-1) between Los Angeles and San Francisco.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 11-08-2008 at 12:20 PM.

Default A couple more ideas.

Hi there,

A couple of my favorite parks are that of Death valley near Vegas and Yosemite a few hours from San Fran.
    If you like Natural wonders then it wouldn't be beyond realms of possibility to visit Zion N.P. and Bryce canyon which are wonderful parks and within a few hours drive of Grand canyon and Vegas.

We are two families from Norway,who are planning a roadtrip in RV`s from Miami to San Francisco
    I was wondering how many are travelling in total as one large R.V. between you would be far more economical than renting two. [I believe 8 persons is the maximum]. Not only a saving on the rental but there will be 2 one way drop of fees and 2 lots of fuel, which adds up to quite a tidy sum when crossing the country and the fact they only return around 10 m.p.g. You are most likely going to have to pay a fee for extra mileage on each one as well. Over a month you are looking at a possible saving of [a very rough estimate] $6000 or more by sharing. If you are worried about over crowding you could purchase a tent, the kids would probably love it if they are old enough.

4. Default

Thanks for replying.
    To answer Southwest Dave,we are 10 people travelling.
    The RV rental companies i have contacted for a quote ,allows only 6 people as maximum,so it has to be 2 rv`s i guess.
    I have received a decent quote from motorhomereservation.com.
    Anyone with experince renting from them?

Default Two it is.

Hi there,

we are 10 people travelling.
    The RV rental companies i have contacted for a quote ,allows only 6 people as maximum,so it has to be 2 rv`s i guess.
    I have seen them where they can accommodate 8 but not 10 and you can only travel where all passengers can be "belted up", so two it is.

I have received a decent quote from motorhomereservation.com.
    Anyone with experince renting from them?
    I don't have any experience of the company you mention, but I have been looking around for deals for our next trip and Cruise America have some good deals. For our needs the "up to 50% off" for early bookings is a really good deal [currently only available untill 15th November] but you may find a "one way special" a possibility. If you haven't already, it may be worth checking out, and "El Monte" is also a big company.
    I will be also be checking out the company you mentioned, so thanks.

Dave.

6. Default Ripped off by motorhomereservation.com

Seems like we have been ripped off by this "company" ,motorhomereservation.com
    Booked two Motorhomes last nowember and paid 50% in adwance
    We started to check this "company" out,since they suddenly didn`t answer any mails.
    Seems like many others have had the same problems.
    The company only have an postbox adress in La.
    2 x $1590 lost.

Just have to try to find a serious company in the internet jungle.
    Any suggestions?
    Seems like Cruise America and El Monte don`t allow one way trips
    This company, cheap-rv-rental.com/ seem to have acceptable deals,and seem to be wordwide,but we are afraid of fraud again,so just wondering if anyone have delt with this company?

regards
    Jarle

Default Ouch !

Sorry to here about that, I hope it sorts itself out and you at least recover your money !

Cruise America and El monte will do one way trips, as you can see here. Check out there "hot deals" as well, they sometimes have one way special deals as they are trying to shift there fleet around the country.