1. Default Chicago – San Francisco Christmas time

Hello all,

I am planning a road trip around Dec – Jan from Toronto to Vancouver through the US. I was wondering what would be a nice scenic route to follow this time of the year. .I hope I can make it there in a week so I can spend a week between San Francisco and Vancouver.

I think Toronto-Chicago and San Francisco – Vancouver is straight forward but I am wondering about the best route between Chicago – San Francisco. It is a snow season but I would love to enjoy a nice scenic drive.

Here is the route I have in mind

Toronto- Detroit – Chicago – Kansas city – Denver - Grand Canyon-Las Vegas-LA-San Francisco – Vancouver

Thanks

Default might be a bit much

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm not sure I would detour all the way to the Grand Canyon for this trip. If you've got a week for this trip, you'd certainly be able to do it, but you might be a little rushed. This will seem like a warp speed trip compared to the nice and leasurely pace of having a week to drive from SF to Vancouver. You'd have 5 hard days of driving to cover the distance from CHicago to SF with the Canyon Detour, so you'd have some time to play with, but if you get a storm that slows you down, then you'll really be crunched for time.

Toronto- Detroit – Chicago – Kansas city – Denver - Grand Canyon-Las Vegas-LA-San Francisco – Vancouver
    Regarding the specifics, Kansas City is not the direct route to Denver, going through Omaha would be quite a bit shorter. And then how are you planningto from Denver to the Grand Canyon? You could got via New Mexico and then I-40, or you could go cut through 2 lane roads through Colorado, Utah, and Arizona. The first would be the fastest, the second would be very scenic, but you'd be driving on a lot of mountain roads that will be slower, and very subject to closures and chain restrictions.

I think if it were me, I would still go through Colorado, but instead of going all the way to the Grand Canyon, I'd focus on the beauty of the Rockies in the Winter, stopping at some of the National Parks like Rocky Mountain and Arches that are closer to I-70.

3. Default Some detials

Thanks alot for your help

I am willing to take the hit of Chicago to Denver in one day so I can enjoy it from there. Then I want to enjoy the scenic route from Denver to the Grand Canyon so can you give me some details about that route.

I believe after that Vegas , LA, San Francisco is straight forward, isn’t it?

Default 1000 miles in the winter is too far

Quote Originally Posted by edreamer2000 View Post
    I am willing to take the hit of Chicago to Denver in one day
    Even if the roads are dry and relatively ice-free, such a distance would require 17 hours of driving -- pedal to the medal. If, which is very likely, the roads are icy, snowy or otherwise weather-challenged, this could easily turn into a 24+ slog....And you will be in no condition to take on the rigors of mountain driving the next day.
    so I can enjoy it from there. Then I want to enjoy the scenic route from Denver to the Grand Canyon so can you give me some details about that route.
    I-25 is frequently icy south from Denver (which would be most direct route) -- What scenic route did you have in mind? I-70 to US-191 is probably the most scenic and maybe the fastest route -- but that is about 700 miles and fastest you could plan to drive that route in Winter is 12 hours (if the roads are icy, snowy, etc -- this leg could easily by 14+ hours).
    I believe after that Vegas , LA, San Francisco is straight forward, isn’t it?
    Yes, that is all interstate driving. Five hours from the Grand to Las Vegas and 4-5 hours to LA and 8-10 to San Francisco.

Mark