In the middle of the cornfields

Default Iowa to anywhere South/West

Hi! My friend and I are planning a road trip for our two-week spring break vacation. Our plan is to just wing it (we have no end destination in sight as of yet) but I'd LOVE some advice for places to go. We thought we'd head down South first, then swing over West (maybe as far as California) before coming back to Iowa. Really, almost all areas are open. Please, we're new at this (and pretty oblivious) and I want this trip to be the most beautiful, meaningful trip it can be.

Tucson, AZ

Default It's a Matter of Scale

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

With two weeks to be on the road from Iowa, practically anywhere in the US and Canada is within reach. But, if you really want to enjoy the trip and have it be romantic, I wouldn't try for everywhere. As a rough outline of what I think would be a relaxed paced itinerary try this. First head down through Kansas City and than across Kansas and the panhandle of Oklahoma to Taos and Santa Fe in New Mexico. Those two cities are an introduction to two different cultures and a good place and way to start a trip of exploration. Then head across northern Arizona with stops at the Petrified Forest, Meteor Crater, and of course the Grand Canyon. Spend a day in Las Vegas and then head up through southwestern Utah seeing Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks. I-70 across Utah and Colorado is one of the most scenic stretches of Interstate in the country, and just north of Denver is another great stop, Rocky Mountain National Park. Finally up into Nebraska and follow I-80, the Platte River and the old Oregon Trail home. That's a pretty romantic and meaningful trip in my book. Trying to do much more would just start making it work and detracting from the fun.

Last edited by AZBuck; 11-07-2008 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Typos

In the middle of the cornfields

Thank you so much for your wonderful advice! I'm definitely going to use it while plannning our trip :)