Default Raleigh, NC to Seattle, WA

Hi people !

I live in Raleigh, NC and will be moving to Seattle, WA around the end of January 2009. I plan to take my car with me and was planning to drive up there instead of getting it transported.

I've a Honda Civic HX coupe 1997 .. runs pretty good and I'll get it checked before i take off.

Considering it'll be winter do you guys have any suggestions for me? ..I guess I can go north first via chicago and then drive west.. or drive west first all the way to CA and then go north (to avoid snowy areas), but that would add an extra 1000 miles. Should I just go via Chicago? .. would it be safe ?

Also, how many days should I allot for the trip? are there any other things I should think about ?

Does any one know approximately how much would it cost to have the vehicle transported instead ?

thanks in advance!

regards,
    Puneet

Default Not Your Only Options

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You have your choice of two completely different routes that are nevertheless very close in total length. Neither of them goes all the way to L.A. before turning north along the coast. The first is the one you mentioned, through Chicago and then I-90/I-94 to Seattle. The second, which is only 50 miles longer would go by way of St. Louis and Kansas City, then north on I-29 and west on I-80 to Salt Lake City, finishing up by using I-84/I-82/I-90. Either one of those trips could be done in as little as 5 days if the weather co-operates and you do little else but drive every day. If you can add a day or even two, you leave yourself some margin and can plan on making a few quick scenic stops. If it's possible given your circumstances, I'd suggest that you hold off making a final decision on which way to go until just before you leave and can get an up to date forecast.

AZBuck

Default winter basics

Welcome to the RTA forum!

Considering it'll be winter do you guys have any suggestions for me? ..I guess I can go north first via chicago and then drive west.. or drive west first all the way to CA and then go north (to avoid snowy areas), but that would add an extra 1000 miles. Should I just go via Chicago? .. would it be safe ?
    I would certainly plan to take the direct route. Going west first certainly wouldn't assure you of seeing better weather. In fact, in January it can often be too cold to get a severe snowstorm on the Upper Plains. Check the forecasts just before you leave, but generally, adding more miles to your trip only increases your time on the road, thus increasing your risk of seeing bad weather.

Having said that, there are 3 route variations that you have to pick from that are roughly the same distance. The first two go via Chicago and then either use I-90 across South Dakota or I-94 across North Dakota. The third option actually avoids Chicago, by taking I-74 from Indianapolis to Iowa, I-80 to I-29, and then picks up I-90 in Sioux Falls. All three routes are pretty close to the same distance, so I would pick the one that looks like you would be seeing the best weather or the one that simply looks most interesting to you.

Also, how many days should I allot for the trip? are there any other things I should think about ?
    I would be about a 5 day trip, if you drive about 10 hours a day. I'd plan for at least 6 though, to give yourself a little more time to relax and a buffer in case you hit some weather that slows you down.
    Does any one know approximately how much would it cost to have the vehicle transported instead ?
    I'd guess it would cost at least $1000. Considering its age, If you don't want to drive, it would probably make more economic sense to sell your car and then buy a new one once you reach your new home.

Quote Originally Posted by puneetarora View Post
    Hi people !

.. or drive west first all the way to CA and then go north (to avoid snowy areas), but that would add an extra 1000 miles.
    If you were to go that way you will still hit snow most likely. I 5 from Redding Cal to Grants Pass Oregon can get a lot of snow, so you would be driving the extra 1000 miles for nothing. If I were going to drive that and didn't want to sight see I would use this route..........

From Raleigh I 40 W to Nashville, pick up I 24 W to I 57 N in Illinois.
    I 57 to Mt Vernon Illinois. Take I 64 W from there to St Louis.
    At St Louis take I 255 N to I 270 W to I to I 70 W to Kansas City.
    In Kansas City take I 29 N to Exit 10 in Iowa. Take Rt2 into Nebraska and on to Lincoln to I 80 W. to Utah. Just east of Salt Lake City take I 84 W
    to Exit 179 {I 82} in Oregon. Take I 82 N and W to I 90 W to Seattle.

At the time of year you will be traveling you will be very lucky if the snow don't find you somewhere along the way, any route you take.