1. Default Seattle to Las Vegas in December

Hi everyone!

My bf and I have decided to take on the ultimate American adventure ^^ . We will be going back to our country next summer, so this will probably be our last chance to see the beauties this country has to offer.

We have a rough plan in mind, but since this is our first long road trip (planning on about 2 weeks, with maybe a week in Vegas), we are kind of all over the place and would greatly appreciate any feedback from you :)

We are actually leaving from Ellensburg, WA and will be taking I-84/I-15 route.

- Dec 16, drive to Hell's Canyon. Stay one night.

- Dec 17, explore Hell's Canyon, then drive to Salt Lake City. This is quite a long drive though (from S-entrance it takes 7h40min to SLC)... Do you think we have time to explore Hell's Canyon and then drive all the way to Salt Lake? Is there any place in between that we should stop and see? Besides Hell's Canyon, any thing else that's a must see on this route btwn Ellensburg and Salt Lake?

Stay the night in Salt Lake

- Dec 18, what should we do in SLC? I guess we'll explore the city a little bit then drive to Zion NP. Stay the night.

Some of the threads on here talked about Bryce... I'm not sure where this is. How far is it from SLC?

- Dec 19, explore Zion, then drive to Vegas late afternoon.

Stay in Vegas from 19-25.

While in Vegas, we'll go to Grand Canyon. Anywhere else (not too far away though) we should go? Death Valley?

It's a pity we cannot stay for New Year in Vegas....

- Leave Vegas on Dec 26. We will take the other route, along CA, OR up to WA. So on this route we haven't really planned it out yet, but we'd like to get back to Seattle by or on Dec 31. So that gives maximum 5 nights on the road. What should we see? (We have been to the amazing Crater Lake before, so probably will not stop here again.)

Apart from the route planning, what other things we should be aware of, in terms of weather, road conditions, etc.? I'm not worried about interstate, but the smaller roads leading to the National Parks for instance?

Recommendation for lodging at each place?

Also for roadside assistance, we're thinking of using either AAA or the Motor Club. Any thought btw the two?

We would be forever grateful for any advice and suggestion. Thank you so much!!!

- Linh

Default Go for it !

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A forums.

- Dec 17, explore Hell's Canyon, then drive to Salt Lake City. This is quite a long drive though (from S-entrance it takes 7h40min to SLC)... Do you think we have time to explore Hell's Canyon and then drive all the way to Salt Lake?
    I have not Driven this route, but that looks like a time estimate from a mapping program which doesn't allow time for stops e.t.c so I would be looking at 8 1/2 to 9 hours for this trip and at least 2 more to drive through the canyon but maybe some one else can confirm this.

Some of the threads on here talked about Bryce... I'm not sure where this is.
    From SLC on I-15 you can get on the 89 through Pangiutch and head on scenic 12 to Bryce canyon, a great place. Head back to the 89 and head south and then West on 9 for Zion N.P. through the Mount carmel tunnel.

While in Vegas, we'll go to Grand Canyon.
    I would plan to spend at least one night at the South rim from Vegas.

Death Valley?
    Definitely. Here are some Day trip suggestions from Vegas

Apart from the route planning, what other things we should be aware of, in terms of weather, road conditions, etc.? I'm not worried about interstate, but the smaller roads leading to the National Parks for instance?
    At this time of year it is worth checking forecasts and road conditions as you go. This is easy done by checking the weather channel from the comfort of your hotel room.

Search the forums and you will find lots of great info. I am sure someone else will be along to answer some of your other queries but in the meantime if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.