1. Default Colorado to Los Angeles - March 09

Hello!
    What a cool site. Glad to be here.

Looking for some input on where to start, what to cover, planning suggestions, etc.

Our initial thought is to fly to Colorado from LAX and pick up an RV there. Family of 3. Thinking 14 days give or take.

Not really sure what to rent. Was thinking we should find a place here and look at them up close and personal.

Then trying to figure out cost for rental ( all in) and gas. We consider ourselves thrifty spenders.

We also home school so we can pick and go at any time.

We are clueless as to what is a reputable RV rental establishment. Totaly green at this whole idea of RVing.

Any and all comments is appreciated.

thx

Cptnswife

Default A Learning Experience

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

For a general discussion of how to rent an RV, check this article. If you've not used one before then this article on safety is also a must read. Although not an RVer myself, I have seen a number of recommendations on these forums for Cruise America, so you should at least check them out to get an idea of what's available and costs.

There are plenty of enjoyable educational sites within easy range of Denver, including the Air Force Academy, the old Oregon Trail, Pony Express stations, cavalry forts, Indian museums, and National Parks. If you have an idea of how far afield you plan on traveling and what you'd like to concentrate on, I can be a bit more specific.

AZBuck

Hello and welcome to R.T.A.

In the roadtrip planning section found at the top of the page you will find lots of valuable info on R.V'ing such as this link.

The class 'C' R.V is a very popular choice for rentals and better value than a class 'A' plus it has a more familiar feel to it when driving.

Two of the bigger companies are 'El Monte' and 'Cruise America' and you can get on line quotes from these and other company's [it's always worth checking out others for deals]along with floor plans and suitability. Make sure you add those extra costs up carefully such as; Extra miles, Insurance waiver, cleaning/prep fees, kitchen and personal kits where applicable and one way charge if you are flying out. I would budget around 10 m.p.g for gas.

If you are choosing an R.V. as a "lifestyle choice" then it's a great way to travel and spend your evenings under the stars. If you are choosing it for cost and wish to remain "thrifty" you will almost certainly find it more economical to rent a car and use motels.
    With 14 days you will certainly have time to go from Colorado to L/A and visit some amazing places along the way depending on your interests. Colorado, Utah and Arizona all have amazing National parks and towns with some of the best scenery there is.
    Here's the N.P.S website that may give you some ideas and they are also great places to camp at.
    Search these forums also for some ideas and look at some maps and when you have an idea of what you would like to do come back and ask some more questions and we will be able to help you piece your trip together.

4. Default

Thank you both so much! This is a great start.

Appreciate it:)

5. Default

Hello again,
    maybe I am missing it, but on the two sites to get a quote, what we want to do is pick up in Denver and return to Los Angeles.

Is that a possibility? Or do they require you to return it to your pick up site?

thanks again.

Default go to the source

One way rentals are certainly possible. However, while I believe both companies will do rate quotes for round trip rentals, they require you to contact them via phone or email for prices for a one way trip.

I would suggest that you contact the RV rental companies directly for more specifics on how each of them operate.

Default Yes, it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Cptnswife View Post
    Hello again,
    maybe I am missing it, but on the two sites to get a quote, what we want to do is pick up in Denver and return to Los Angeles.

Is that a possibility? Or do they require you to return it to your pick up site?

thanks again.
    There will be a one way rental charge, here on the Cruise America site it asks you to call for info as it does on El Monte. and Road bear.

They used to give you a one way charge for locations but it seems now it's by request. Watch out for any special offers as they sometimes want there fleet moving between depots and can actually offer a discount to do so.

8. Default

Thanks for the posts. Its funny, I did love chat with El Monte and they said - no go - no depo in Colorado. Then I checked again within 15 minutes and was quoted. I am guessing they will be opening a depo in Colorado by the time we want to do this trip.

I will do my research and see if I can cross compare.

I was quoted almost $2000.00 - all in for 14 days from LA to Colorado. We changed it because we were thinking it would be best to start here where we could slowly start to use our goodies and then give to friends or charity at the end - and then fly home.

This is so exciting! lol

What do you all think of the price?

eta...25 C - we are trying to see if we can go visit the depot to look at the RV first.

Default Not bad at all

Hi again,

What do you all think of the price?
    $2000 dollars sounds pretty good to me with as an "all in" price, although it's always worth checking out the competition before booking. Remember you will have camping fees and gas costs to add on.

We changed it because we were thinking it would be best to start here where we could slowly start to use our goodies and then give to friends or charity at the end - and then fly home.
    Great idea. If you can get some[or got some spare that could do with re-newing] value pots and pans sleeping bags and pillows etc you could save on the charges for kitchen and personal kits.

we are trying to see if we can go visit the depot to look at the RV first.
    Good idea if you have a local depot, you might even be able to strike a deal.

This is so exciting! lol
    Doing the planning and booking is a fun part of the "whole trip" that I really enjoy. Don't forget to pop back if you need any help with your route or advice on places to visit e.t.c.

Dave

10. Default

Thanks Dave.
    Still looking around for rates.

Will post when I get this figured out! lol