Default Winter road trip around New York

Hello and hoping you can offer some advice. My husband and I are spending a week in New York and then spend a week travelling around the area by car. It will be the week between 2 January and 9 January. We would love to see Niagra Falls and the New England area but are we silly to attempt that during the Winter? If so we are going to Canada next year in Summer and can do those spots then. We are from Australia and so used to driving enormous distances, however we have little experience driving in snow. Alternatively we were thinking we could do a loop around Washington DC and perhaps that would not be so wintery??? Trouble is it is such a long way to come (21 hours flying) to not see some of the surrounds of NY. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Paddo

Default Let It Snow

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If you are going to be traveling around the northeastern U.S. for a week in January, then you can pretty much count on seeing significant snow at some point no matter which way you go. But I wouldn't let that keep you from visiting any one of the three areas you've mentioned. Just plan on spending a day not driving during your excursion. since these areas do get a lot of snow during the winter, they are typically well prepared to handle it and the major roads are usually completely cleared and open to traffic again well within 24 hours after a storm. The one exception, oddly enough, might be the large cities toward the south such as Washington, DC. The amount of traffic and parking on their streets makes snow removal a bit more difficult. So, I'd recommend either NiagaraFalls or New England whichever is farther from where you'll be going next summer. The other good thing about travel in the winter is that typically there are fewer people out and about so you won't need lodging reservations and can just go where and when the weather allows. Remember, there are few things prettier than a landscape covered in freshly fallen snow.

AZBuck

Thanks so much for your help. It makes a lot of sense and I think we will skip Washington this time and go North. I am wondering if 7 days would be enough to do the NY, Boston, Buffalo back through Binghampton and on to NY again loop? Thanks again.

Default Winter in New England

Hello all,

I'm wondering if somebody could pls pass their eye over this itinery and let me know if we are on the right track. We are travelling through Winter so we don't want to rush too much but we are also not the type of people to be hanging around museums either.

Dec 28 Arrive JFK at 4.30pm
    Drive to Port Jefferson and stay the night

Dec 29 Travel by car ferry to bridgeport mid morning, drive to Essex for lunch, on to Mystic for Dinner and overnight.

Dec 30 Leave Mystic at mid morning for Providence and then onto Newport for overnight. (Alternatively we could perhaps just go straight to Newport if we didn't have enough time for Providence)

Dec 31 Leave Newport lunchtime and drive to Hyannis Port to stay overnight

Jan 1 Day trip to Nantuckett or Marthas Vineyard and back to Hyannis overnight

Jan 2 Drive around Cape Cod and on to Boston overnight

Jan 3 Day in Boston and overnight

Jan 4 Drive to Salem and then head to NY via Hartford, Litchenfields and Hudson and stay in Sleep Hollow overnight.

Jan 5 Drive to NY, drop off car and stay till the 10 Jan.

Thanks for your opinions.

5. Default feedback?

planning similar roadtrip Jan 2014 and curious which itinerary you stuck to with weather, etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paddo View Post
    Hello all,

I'm wondering if somebody could pls pass their eye over this itinery and let me know if we are on the right track. We are travelling through Winter so we don't want to rush too much but we are also not the type of people to be hanging around museums either.

Dec 28 Arrive JFK at 4.30pm
    Drive to Port Jefferson and stay the night

Dec 29 Travel by car ferry to bridgeport mid morning, drive to Essex for lunch, on to Mystic for Dinner and overnight.

Dec 30 Leave Mystic at mid morning for Providence and then onto Newport for overnight. (Alternatively we could perhaps just go straight to Newport if we didn't have enough time for Providence)

Dec 31 Leave Newport lunchtime and drive to Hyannis Port to stay overnight

Jan 1 Day trip to Nantuckett or Marthas Vineyard and back to Hyannis overnight

Jan 2 Drive around Cape Cod and on to Boston overnight

Jan 3 Day in Boston and overnight

Jan 4 Drive to Salem and then head to NY via Hartford, Litchenfields and Hudson and stay in Sleep Hollow overnight.

Jan 5 Drive to NY, drop off car and stay till the 10 Jan.

Thanks for your opinions.

Default An oldie.

Hi Porky1 and welcome to the RTA forums !

I doubt you will get a response from the original poster as this trip was back in 2008 and they haven't been active on the forums since. The only way to know what the weather will be is to get up to date forecasts prior to leaving on your trip. If you have questions of your own it would be best to start your own thread.