Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default LA to Vegas via Palm Springs & Grand Canyon

Hi,

We are planning a road trip next April from LA to Las Vegas via the Grand Canyon. We would welcome any recomendation as to interesting places to stop over. We are fairly flexible about which route we take, but certainly a Scenic Route.

We have 3 or 4 night to do the journey possibly 5 if we include a stop off in san Diego. certainly we are interested in visiting Palm Springs and Joshau Tree, the bit between there and the Grand Canyon is what we really need help with.

We are 2 Adults and 3 children, so some interesting stuff for the kids would be great!

Thanks - Connolly
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 10-30-2008 at 06:37 PM.

Default I think the kids would love

Quote Originally Posted by Connolly View Post
    the bit between there and the Grand Canyon is what we really need help with.
    Oatman would be a great stop for the kids of all ages -- here's more info.

Mark

The bit between Joshua Tree NP and GCNP.
    Drive to Twentynine Palms, see the murals there. Take Amboy road from 29Palms to Amboy. Stop at Roy's Cafe, see Amboy Crater. Take National Trails hw (old R66) all the way to Goffs. Stops at several places. Take a pictures of the car and people standing at a R66 shield painted on the road. See the Shoe Tree just past Amboy. Drive to Needles, take old R66 to Oatman for a stop and a laugh. Then IR10 (R66) over Sitgreaves pass to Kingman and continue R66 to Hackberry. Visitor center and outside museum. Stop on your way to Seligman and take a picture of the "Valentine"" roadsign. Maybe visit Grand Canyon Caverns and stop in Seligman for the old R66 relics and have a burger or an ice-cream at Delgadillos Snow Cap...the show is for free. Then drive to Williams, stock up at the local Safeway, fill your tank in town and drive to GCNP. Another place between Willaims and GCNP is Bedrock City but it's kidsstuff. See the Imax theater in Tusayan and spend at least a full day at the rim. It will be a very long day to drive between Joshua Tree NP and GCNP and see all places, so maybe spend a night in, let's say, Kingman. GCNP to Las Vegas is 5 hours.
    HTH, welcome to the forum and happy planning.
    Yeehaw
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 11-01-2008 at 10:34 AM. Reason: added some links to RTA articles

4. Default

Thanks both for your responses. I will break out the map now and start the happy planning process!

Cheers

Great links Mark!! I appreciate this!

6. Default LA to LA via San Fransisco, Lake Tahoe & Yosemite

Hi,

We are planning a road trip to California next April - 15 nights from the 1st of April. One option I am looking at is LA to San Francisco, then on to Lake Tahoe (possibly including a night in Reno?) then back via Yosemite to LA.

We have already booked a hotel in Anaheim for the first 4 night, but are flexible from there.

Does anyone have any advice, guidance or ideas?

Many Thanks!

Connolly

Default the same?

I'm confused, I thought you were planning to go to the Grand Canyon and Palm Springs for your April trip?

A trip including LA, SF, Tahoe, and Yosemite is certainly feasable, and its discussed in great detail over a thousand or so posts and threads on this forum. These threads are a excellent starting point, but if you look around you should get plenty of info about traveling to and between these areas. I will remind you that Tioga Pass through Yosemite will be closed in early April, so you won't be able to use that specific route to get across the Sierras.

Default Palm springs still possible.

Welcome back to R.T.A,

As Michael pointed out the Tioga pass [120] will be closed at this time. A possibility would be to head for Yosemite from San Fran and then to Lake Tahoe. This would enable you to head South on the Eastern side of the Sierra's, and depending on what you want to do with your time would make Death valley, Vegas and Palm springs possibles.

9. Default Our options are open

Hi,

Midwest Michael you are quite correct I have previously asked about a route from LA - Palm Springs - Grand Canyon - LA. This is another option we are considering. To be honest (as you would expect!) we really want to do both, but time will not allow. The Grand Canyon is the problem. I really want to take my wife and children there (been there before myself on a previous trip), but the Kids also really want to to go to Yosemite and San Francisco. We particulalry do not really want to miss out on the journey up Hwy 1.

You mention the Tioga Pass being closed during early April. if we do decide on the trip down from Lake Tahoe, is the closure of this road likley to cause us a problem? Huge detour? Missing out on best bite of Yosemite?

Forgive my lack of local knowledge!

Cheers

Connolly

You will have to approach Yosemite from the west. There are 5 roads you can take from Lake Tahoe over the mountains to get to CA-49 which will get you to Yosemite via CA-120, CA-140, or CA-41. Those are I-80, US-50, CA-88, CA-4, and CA-108. I-80 and US-50 are aggressively kept open, the other 3 need to be checked ahead of time. I have been over CA-88 in early May and encountered light snow.