1. Default Alaska - Help and advice needed please!!

hello, im new to this forum.

(im 21 he's 19)

me and a friend want to take a trip to alaska hopefulluy around 10th december. i'm not sure how to approach it. i don't want to fly strait to alaska from the UK, but rather a state about 1000 miles away, to have a roadtrip to Alaska and experience a taste of US culture. we want to rent a car where would be a good airport to fly too? what attractions along the way? i'd love to see some rodeo.

as for alaska itself what major attractions are there? we want to do some fishing, hiking, etc but really open to anything?

any advice would be much appreicate.

thanks alot, mark

Well there are no states within even 1500 miles of Alaska, the closest major airport would probaly be in Seattle, Washington. From there you have to drive through British Columbia and another territory whose name escapes me. It's a long cold trip through Canadian wilderness I assume. That city is Juneau, Anchorage is even farther than that. Alaska is unbelievably huge. It's much bigger and farther away than it looks on the map

Default No rodeo in December

Quote Originally Posted by mrmark08 View Post
    i don't want to fly strait to alaska from the UK, but rather a state about 1000 miles away, to have a roadtrip to Alaska and experience a taste of US culture.
    Like jimzdj36 mentions, the closest of the lower 48 states is Washington and driving distance to Alaska from Seattle is 992 miles (but this only gets to Hyder, Alaska). Haines is a little bigger at 1750 miles (that other province is the Yukon). If you drove to Anchorage the total distance would be 2400 miles.

Actually, the shortest driving distance would be Blaine, Washington to Hyder, Alaska at 911 miles....
    i'd love to see some rodeo.
    There is no rodeo in North America in December -- except for Las Vegas for the NFR.

How much time do you have for this adventure? -- Road conditions will be challenging in December. Many of the "attractions" will be closed for the winter. Tell us more about this trip!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 10-30-2008 at 11:42 AM.

Default Not really feasable, by rental car

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

First of all, the distance from Seattle to the Alaska border, via the alaska highway is 2000 miles, through the British Columbia and the Yukon Territory. Its another 400 miles beyond that to get to Anchorage.

The other element is that rental cars generally are not allowed to go all the way to Alaska, so the transportation element would be virtually impossible.

On top of all of that, As much as I want to drive to Alaska myself someday, I don't think I would make plans to do this trip in December.

Having said all of that, an option you could consider it taking the ferry. The "Alaska Marine Highway" would take you by boat from Washington State, up along the Panhandle of Alaska to several towns that are only accessable by ferry or plane, including Juneau. If I remember, its about a week long trip to take the ferry from Washington all the way to the Anchorage/Seward area.

At 21 and 19, your rental car options are going to be limited and expensive. US rental companies do not like renting to people under 25, and the ones that do generally tack on a hefty surcharge. Crossing an international border with a rental car adds complication.

You are picking the wrong time of year to have a truly enjoyable time in Alaska - it's very cold and there's very little daylight.

If you really do want to go, I'd recommend you fly into Anchorage and branch out from there. Driving up from Canada or the Lower 48 is just not a smart thing to do that time of year unless you put the car on a ferry.

6. Default

thanks a lot for all your advice. think we're going to do two seperate road trips. this Xmas we'll fly to Anchorage then explore. then in the summer we'll do mainland usa east to west.

thanks a lot for all your advice i really underestimated the distance of the trip!!!!!

Default Christmas season daylight hours

Hello mrmark08,

Do consider a close look at the information provided by the prior responders and consider just how short the late December days in Alaska are. It's easy enough to look up and confirm, but just days after the Winter Solstice I could imagine latitudes like that of Anchorage, AK having just 5 or 6 hours of daylight a day, quite possibly less, and most of that being very low-angle sunlight.

Perhaps you're like me and you just like a challenge and enjoy the extremes. Enjoy the planning and the trip!

Foy

All the points raised by others are correct. We have light from 1030 to 3ish in December. It’s usually not very cold in anchorage but the light is a limitation. There is great cross country skiing and snowshoeing at that time of year. Travel much outside of anchorage should be undertaken with care and preparation ( shovel, extra warm clothes, winter driving experaince), since it can be much colder or much snowier depending which direction you go. What do you want to do in December in Alaska? Not that it isn't beautiful here at that time but your expectations have to match and be subservient to the environment.

Default short days -- long nights

Greg,

Nice to hear from you again! Living in Las Vegas, NV, it's hard to imagine days that are that short. Nice long nights though!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mrmark08 View Post
    thanks a lot for all your advice. think we're going to do two seperate road trips. this Xmas we'll fly to Anchorage then explore. then in the summer we'll do mainland usa east to west.

thanks a lot for all your advice i really underestimated the distance of the trip!!!!!
    Doing two trips is the way to go -- but please reconsider which order you do them in. I did a month in Alaska in July (can't quite believe it was that long ago already) and it is the perfect time of year. Can you maybe do the trip to the Lower 48 in December and follow it up with Alaska (and hopefully a bit of the Yukon) next summer?

Seriously you'll be doing yourself a huge favour that way.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 11-07-2008 at 02:21 AM. Reason: added a link to Craig's July adventure