Default LV at Christmas!

We are planning a 2-person road trip over the course of 10 days.

Leaving from Houston, we'd like to go through Roswell, NM / Rachel, NV on our way to LV.

After 2-3 days in LV, we will head to Los Angeles to visit with family for 1-2 days, then head back towards TX. I'm thinking I-10 all the way will be quickest.

I'd love to hear ideas, suggestions for must-see's, etc.

Have a great day!!!
    ~lzbreath~

Default Las Vegas is pretty at Christmas time

Quote Originally Posted by lzbreath View Post
    We are planning a 2-person road trip over the course of 10 days.
    Sounds reasonable and welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    Leaving from Houston, we'd like to go through Roswell, NM / Rachel, NV on our way to LV.
    I detect a bit of a UFO-theme here? Personally, neither of those places are on my high points list, but you will be traveling through some gorgeous country in between. I think you would find Carlsbad caverns more scenic and interesting, but the great thing about road trips, is that you get to decide.... The shortest distance to Rachel is through Las Vegas. In fact, Rachel might make a better day trip -- here is a field report of the ET highway. But if you really want to drive from Roswell to Rachel.... it is about 925 miles and will take about 17 hours (two full eight hour driving days).
    After 2-3 days in LV, we will head to Los Angeles to visit with family for 1-2 days, then head back towards TX. I'm thinking I-10 all the way will be quickest.
    I-10 to I-20 will probably be the fastest -- If you can squeeze the time -- Big Bend NP is really fun in late December -- I would check out these hot springs....

You might even get a "white Christmas" in Las Vegas -- we get one every 2-3 years....

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    Sounds reasonable and welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!I detect a bit of a UFO-theme here?
    Yup. We're geeks for sure!!

Quote Originally Posted by mark sedenquist View Post
    Personally, neither of those places are on my high points list, but you will be traveling through some gorgeous country in between. I think you would find Carlsbad caverns more scenic and interesting, but the great thing about road trips, is that you get to decide....
    We've both been to Carlsbad recently, and thought, like you, that even if the touristy things are on the boring side, the scenery would be breathtaking.

The shortest distance to Rachel is through Las Vegas. In fact, Rachel might make a better day trip -- But if you really want to drive from Roswell to Rachel...will take about 17 hours (two full eight hour driving days).
    This is what I was afraid of...that it is a longer drive than either of us are anticipating. May have to scratch either this or family in LA.

You might even get a "white Christmas" in Las Vegas -- we get one every 2-3 years....
    how fun would that be?!

thanks for all the feedback, I look forward to pouring over the links and field reports. glad to have found this site; having fun and a few jealous moments looking at everyone's plans.

Happy Halloween!