1. Default San Francisco to Virginia Beach

Hi there
    I am planning a move from San Francisco to Virginia Beach this November. I have been contemplating whether or not to ship my car and fly out, or to take advantage of the opportunity and make it a road trip instead. A couple girl friends and I were wondering what the best route to take this time of year would be? If we were to drive we would leave the weekend of Thanksgiving and only have about a week to dedicate to the trip. We want a quick route, but also one that is safe and includes some fun stops. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas they can contribute?
    Thanks so much for anything you can offer up!!

Default Direct Route

I would go south to I-40 off of 58 to avoid the Rocky Mountains. Take that all the way into North Carolina to I-95. Head North on I-95 to Virginia until you get to US-58 and head east. That is if you want a direct route. Either way you get to check out the desert south west, the oklahoma plains, and the appalachian region in tennessee before hitting the beach.

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

You've got a week to dedicate to a trip that takes five days on average, so you'll be able to pace yourselves nicely and get out there and see some stuff!

I don't know that I would recommend one route over another except on the chance of foul weather. The I-40 route suggested would grant you the opportunity to stop at the Grand Canyon as well Memphis, Nashville, and Smoky Mountains National Park.

It really depends on what you and your friends like to do. Are you the types who would love to spend an evening in Las Vegas? Or do you want to get out and explore nature?

As far as speed is concerned, the Interstates will definitely be your best option, though US and even some state and county routes in the Midwest offer a good diversion from the usual four lane while letting you drive through towns instead of around them.

Default Welcome to The Beach.........

.........or to Tidewater, or Hampton Roads, all shorthand for southeast Virginia.

I think I'd have to map it out to determine overall distance variances before I'd find value in simply avoiding the Rockies. One reason is this: swinging down to I-40 doesn't avoid the Rockies altogether, northern AZ and central NM featuring mountains galore along I-40, another being you can avoid the crest of the Rockies by taking I-80, I-215, I-15, I-84, and then back to I-80 in the UT-WY "corner" area (albeit you must first pass through the Sierra on I-80 to get there), and lastly because adding miles, if that's the case, is a statistically poor way to make most any primarily Interstate journey safer. No offense intended, adding California miles strikes me as a particularly inappropriate way to make a Road Trip safer.

Provided my intuition about distance is correct (and I am not in position to do the mapping homework at the moment, as I am packing for my own trip to Lynnhaven Inlet, on the Chesapeake Bay within the Va Beach city limits) taking I-80 all the way to Lincoln, NE, NE-2 to I-29, I-29 to I-70, I-70 to I-64, and I-64 to Tidewater is a very good route. Sure, you need to keep an eye out on the weather, but the high elevation parts of the I-40 route, particularly in AZ, NM, and the TX panhandle are not without snow/ice risks.

If you decide on the I-40 route across the country, be sure to take I-85 north off of I-40 at Hillsborough, NC, and run it up to South Hill, VA, thence US-58 into Tidewater. There is surely no need to stay on I-40 at the Hillsborough split, pass through the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill traffic gauntlet, follow I-40 for 40 miles south from there, then turn north on I-95. Look at a road map and you'll see what I mean. The segment of US-58 between South Hill and Emporia, VA, where you'd hit US-58 while northbound on I-95 going the longer way previously suggested, is only 37 miles, is all 4-lane, and much of it carries 60mph speed limits, the balance is 55 zones. It's non-Interstate, but very scenic and practically as fast as Interstate.

As noted above, you're allocating plenty of time, so easy day's travel and side trips are entirely do-able.

Enjoy,

Foy

I ran a quick map on S&T - quickest route is 80 all the way to Youngstown OH, then 76 to 70 down to DC, then 95 to Richmond, then 64 to Va Beach. I don't think I'd do that. That involves toll roads and traffic around Chicago and DC can be nasty.

taking I-80 all the way to Lincoln, NE, NE-2 to I-29, I-29 to I-70, I-70 to I-64, and I-64 to Tidewater is a very good route.
    That looks real good to me. There are 3 possible gotchas that way - Kansas City, St. Louis, and Louisville. Avoid at rush hour, especially St. Louis - I-64/US-40 is closed through the city for reconstruction and the alternates get very congested. Richmond should be no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    That looks real good to me. There are 3 possible gotchas that way - Kansas City, St. Louis, and Louisville. Avoid at rush hour, especially St. Louis - I-64/US-40 is closed through the city for reconstruction and the alternates get very congested. Richmond should be no big deal.
    Traffic thru St Louis is heavy even during non peak travel times. Add in a major interstate closed and it becomes really bad really quick. If you take I 70 to I 270 around the north side of St Louis, cross into Ill then take I 255 South to I 64 you might miss a lot of the traffic.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 10-30-2008 at 11:44 AM. Reason: removed the extra spaces