Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Florida to Alaska in June

Hello,

Well since I completed a roadtrip over the summer from Florida to Colorado, and already completed 43 states. Now it's time to drive the longest possible drive in the world which would be driving from Florida to Alaska. I read some motoring tips such as using a gas tank cover, and head light guards because of flying gravel on the Alaska Highway. It also mention that windshields are likely to chip because of that. I am renting a car so of course I will make sure the tires have thick thread. I know the route to go which is I 70 to Kansas City to I 29 towards the Dakotas and Winipeg and than Canada Autoroute 16 from Winipeg to Edmonton and than Route 43 from Edmonton to Dawson Creek which than turns into the Alaska Highway. If anyone else has any other suggestions of different routes or things I need to know. Please let me know. Has anyone ever done this route before and did you really need headlight guards and a gas tank cover? It also says that insects are a major problem and can clog up the radiator.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 10-27-2008 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Linked to previous trip

Default fact and fiction

Welcome to the RTA forum!

Well first of all, the drive from Florida to Alaska isn't the longest possible drive in the world, or even the continent, since you could also drive from Panama to Alaska. Of course, even that would be small compared to a South Africa to Norway trip.

Now having said that, The Alaska Highway isn't the barron road-through-nowhere that people often seem to think it is. I think many of the stories and tales about the challenges of the road are either overblown or throwbacks from the roads early days. The road is currently used frequently, and has plenty of services along the way.

What I would recommend for any first step in planning a trip up the Alaska Highway is to grab a copy of the Milepost, the guidebook of guidebooks for making the trip.

3. Default Florida to Alaska in June

Thank You Midwest Mike. I will definately grab that magazine for sure. I have heard that a drive can be completed even from Alaska to Argentina from what I hear, they say it can be very dangerous once ur in Mexico and Central America cause the roads aren't the same as the US, and if you get stranded, it's a matter of life and death.

That's why I think the longest "Safest Drive" is from Florida to Alaska since Canada and the US closely work together in providing tourists as many services with restaurants, motels and gas stations.

what do you think about that whole flying gravel thing and headlight guards and gas tank covers and bug shields. That's what it says in the Tripple AAA section of the Alaska Highway map. Have you personally ever done and a drive or know anyone that has completed a drive and needed that or didn't need that at all? That's pretty much my only main concern.

Default not that bad either

I've done some roadtripping in Mexico and Central America, and while its certainly different from traveling in the US, I wouldn't go so far as to say that its unsafe either. You can't technically drive all the way to Argentina, though, because there is no road from Panama to Columbia. You have to find a way to have your car shipped across the stretch. Road Fever is a great account of a trip like this, and is well worth a read for anyone who enjoys a roadtrip.

Anyway back to Alaska. I have not yet made the trip to Alaska myself, but it certainly is at or near the top of my "someday" list. The road is mostly paved, but there certainly are sections where you could see some flying rocks. I don't know if I'd go so far to say that those items would be mandatory, they certainly wouldn't hurt. If I was gearing up to make the trip, however, I think I would make bringing an extra full sized tire, and other basic repair tools a higher priority.

Default A rental car?

Did I read that correct? You are planning on driving a rental car from Florida into Canada and then into Alaska and back? Does the rental company know this?

You need to be prepared for some extraordinary surcharges, but the real problem might be border crossings. Most US rental firms will let you drive 100 miles or so into Canada -- but beyond that -- you could well be in violation of the rental car policies.

Mark

Default I don't think so

I didn't see anywhere that he said rental car. Since he's talking about bug shields and other modifications, I'm assuming he's talking about his own car.

Default Yep, he is "renting"....

Quote Originally Posted by JDH34567 View Post
    ... I am renting a car so of course....
    WRT your question --grill covers for your headlamps is good idea -- but the best preventative measure is simply to slow down.

Default good catch

Ahh, I must have skimmed right over that line. That does bring up a whole bunch of other issues.

I also don't know of any company that will allow a rental car to be driven to Alaska, and even if you find one that will, the other modifications that are being talked about would also likely be in violation of a rental contract.

Default re Florida to Alaska

Hi,
    I agree that there are likely no car rentals available for this trip. Your best bet would be to transport a motorhome from the lower 48 to Alaska. There are companies--usually in the midwest--that need vehicles sent north in late spring, early summer. You could possibly get one for no cost or at least at a discounted rental rate.

Also, try craigslist. I attended UAF in Fairbanks and met many students/summer workers etc. who were looking for people to share expenses/driving to or from Alaska to the lower 48.

Lastly, most of the "road precautions" date to a bygone era. If your vehicle is in good order, you should be fine. Windshield chips are common, especially in construction areas. But these can easily happen anywhere.
    Make sure you have good tires, a spare tire +a can of "fix-a-flat." Also, it pays to get gas often rather than holding out for a better price down the road. I've made the trip several times and have noticed that many of the businesses along the road tend to come and go from season to season. Best to get services where you see them open.
    Best,
    EW

Default Good Info

Welcome to the RTA Forum, Erikw89!

Thanks for sharing the information, and the great first hand reports about the Alaska Highway.