1. Default First Time Roadtrippers - LA to NY by bus

A friend and I are taking some time out from college this summer to see the country. Neither of us drive, so we're planning on buying Greyhound passes for transportation. We're starting to plan out our budget, but we're very new at this. Does $2000 per person sound like enough if we plan to stay mostly in hostels or with friends/relatives? I'd appreciate any advice people have.

Default Variables

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Probably the biggest factor in figuring out how much money you'll need is the amount of time you'll be on the road. Without knowing that, its hard to say how much money will be enough.

Having said that, $2000 each is a good amount of money to do a quite a bit of traveling, and since you should know your transportation expenses up front -not having to estimate with the ever changing price of fuel- it should be pretty easy to build a trip that will work within your budget.

3. Default Thanks!

We'd like to take our time (probably a few weeks). I know my friend wants to spend a few days in New Orleans, so it's not going to be a straight shot.

Would you consider using Amtrak too? You can see scenery from the train that you can't from the highway and a train is a lot more comfortable than a bus for long hours. You can get up and walk around, and get things to eat.

5. Default

We're thinking about it. We have a third person now, so it may actually be cheaper to drive, we're still working it out.

It may be cheaper to drive - but if there's only one driver you will need to plan your days accordingly. You will not be able to cover the same distances as you would by bus or train, the driver has to sleep sometime!

7. Default

Boy, this trip has changed a lot since we started planning. There's three of us now, possibly four. Also, we've decided to take northern routes to NY and then take southern routes back to LA, instead of zig-zagging across the country. It's a lot more sensible. If there's only three of us, we'll probably still go by bus since it's not fair to make one person drive the whole way, but if the possible fourth person drives that would mean that we would definitely take a car.

What are some underrated favorite places to visit? I'm having trouble finding things beyond the usual tourist spots and I'd love to hear suggestions from people with experience.

Default unanswerable questions

What are some underrated favorite places to visit? I'm having trouble finding things beyond the usual tourist spots and I'd love to hear suggestions from people with experience.
    There are so many things to see in the US that its virtually impossible to answer a question like this. Its hard enough to list great "hidden" places in an individual town or city, doing the same over the thousands of square miles of north america just doesn't work. There are great "underrated" things around every corner, you just have to look for them.

I will also say that people tend to forget that the "usual tourist spots" got that way for a reason. I know everyone wants to have their own unique trip, but that doesn't mean you have to reinvent the wheel. These "touristy" places are usually one of a kind things that you can't see or experience anywhere else, and that's why people flock to them.