1. Default kasha-katuwe to jemez springs

Hi guys,
    Just a question for the new mexico experts! I wanted to get from Kasha-Katuwe tent rocks to jemez springs. The obvious "Suggested" route would involve I-25 and circling around to nm-4. However, I am sure there are some Indian Service Roads that would lead west right to NM-4. Any suggestions? Any thoughts on what driving on these roads would be like? For that matter, any info on roads leading directly from kasha katuwe to bandelier?
    I know I just posted like 3 questions in one! Any input is appreciated. Thanks!!!

Default You need permission!

Quote Originally Posted by pepperkingdom View Post
    I wanted to get from Kasha-Katuwe tent rocks (national monument) to jemez springs.
    That is on the Jemes Indian Reservation and the gate on the road just to the north of the National Monument is closed to all non-native american visitors. County road 268 might be work -- but it is usually gated as well.
    The obvious "Suggested" route would involve I-25 and circling around to nm-4.
    Without a special pass and host/guide, I don't think there is a viable alternative route.

Mark

3. Default Thanks

Thank you Mark! I am here in New Mexico for a month [I will be moving here permanently next july], and am really trying to check out as many roads as I can....they are amazing!

Default Eagle Nest

Well, in that case you gotta go to Angel Fire & Eagle Nest Lake. One of my favorite alpine lake valleys in the country. County route 120 from Black Lake to Ocate is a favorite road -- (DO NOT ATTEMPT IT IF IT IS RAINING OR WET) but in dry weather -- it is a very nice drive.

I like poking around all of those small roads in the upper Rio Grande River valley -- And the mountain roads around Chimayo and along the Rio Chiquito are pretty fun too.

New Mexico is a great state to call "home" Enjoy!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by pepperkingdom
    Hi guys,
    Just a question for the new mexico experts! I wanted to get from Kasha-Katuwe tent rocks to jemez springs. The obvious "Suggested" route would involve I-25 and circling around to nm-4. However, I am sure there are some Indian Service Roads that would lead west right to NM-4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist
    That is on the Jemes Indian Reservation and the gate on the road just to the north of the National Monument is closed to all non-native american visitors. County road 268 might be work -- but it is usually gated as well.
    Some of the maps I have show this route (Forest Road 266 most of the way, then FR 10 connecting to NM Hwy. 290) going all the way through, but on the most recent (2004) Santa Fe National Forest map, FR 266 just disappears when it reaches one corner of a parcel of Jemez Pueblo land. I think it’s pretty clear that they want to discourage travel through there. And, as Mark said, there are gates on the road just past the Tent Rocks. You might try checking with the tribal government about getting permission to drive through there. I really don’t know if they allow that or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperking
    Any thoughts on what driving on these roads would be like?
    You’re talking about dirt roads through the mountains. Some of them aren’t too bad, others are pretty rough, but even on the best roads you still have to be on the lookout for rocks, ruts, washboard and mud. The mountains get quite a bit of rain, so be careful. The roads can get really, really muddy really, really fast.

Also watch for livestock on the road.
    For that matter, any info on roads leading directly from kasha katuwe to bandelier?
    I think Forest Road 289 goes all the way through to NM Hwy. 4 near Bandelier, but it might not be open this late in the year. You can contact the Jemez Ranger District office and see what they say about it. I’ve never been on that road, but just looking at the map, it looks like some parts of it might be pretty rough.
    Thank you Mark! I am here in New Mexico for a month [I will be moving here permanently next july], and am really trying to check out as many roads as I can....they are amazing!
    Welcome to New Mexico, pepper!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 11-02-2008 at 11:01 AM. Reason: removed extra spacing

Default Excellent, excellent work on the maps!

Howard,

Excellent job with the maps and the research on this post. I liked the photos of the roads too.

Mark

Default Thanks!

I managed to get a better picture of that Forest Service map. According to this, Forest Road 266 doesn’t cross that little piece of Pueblo land.

US Forest Service
    Last edited by howard; 11-03-2008 at 09:17 PM. Reason: typo

Default Very suspicious

The USFS doesn't build roads that do that -- I would think the road is still there, but for politically correct reasons, it is not shown on the map as being there. Nice reproduction of that map!

Mark