1. Default Chicago to Florida in December

Hello. My family is considering a road trip from Chicago to Ft. Lauderdale over winter vacation. We'd like to plan at least 2 overnights along the way with any interesting stops that we shouldn't miss. We have 2 adventurous kids - ages 6 and 8. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks for your help!

Tucson, AZ

Default Major Stops and More

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Three days is a goodly amount of time for your trip, and as it happens there are 3 major stops that I'd recommend for rambunctious, inquisitive kids, one each day.

Day 1: Mammoth Cave National Park
    Day 2: Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park
    Day 3: Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge

Each of those would give your children a chance to have an adventure, blow off some steam, and learn something. And each could be done in a 2-3 hour visit, leaving time in the day to get some driving in as well You might also want to plan shorter, but still adventurous, meal stops at some of the smaller parks along the way.

3. Default

Thank you SO much for your reply. Your suggestions sound great - exactly what I was looking for! This is our first 'real' roadtrip, so I have more questions... What about hotels/motels? Should I plan where we will sleep each night, or just see how far we get?

Tucson, AZ

Default Either Way

There are those who prefer the freedom of not having reservations. That allows them to end the day wherever they happen to be when the mood strikes, and not have to either keep going when they're too tired or stop short when there's plenty of daylight left. I, on the other hand, prefer to already have the chore of finding accommodations out of the way once I hit the road. By shopping for my room beforehand, I'll know how it compares with other motels in the area for price and customer satisfaction; there are several websites that offer such comparisons. Also, having a set place each night helps keep me on schedule, and when traveling with children it lets you have an answer to the perennial questions "Are we there yet?" and "How much farther?"

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Spend a Night in a Teepee

One of only three Wigwam Villages is located in Cave City, Kentucky. Quite an experience to sleep in one of these concrete teepees while in the Mammouth Cave area.

Once down to the Fort Lauderdale area, you might want to also check out Hollywood Beach just to the south.

They have a long boardwalk and lots of little stores.

6. Default

Thanks for the great ideas... the kids will love the teepees. Just thinking... the drive from Chicago to Mammoth Cave is over 6 hours. We'll all need a break somewhere 1/2 way, which i'm guessing is around Indianapolis? I don't want to take too much time going into the city, but we will probably want to get out, walk a little, have something to eat. Any suggestions?

7. Default Atlanta Stop

If your drive takes you through Atlanta, Ga., think about seeing Stone Mountain just to the east. Very historical, beautiful, plenty of space to romp about, a miniature train to ride, plus there's a sky lift that's absolutely gorgeous and fun. My family enjoy spending a long afternoon. You can either buy fast food on site or bring a picnic (our choice).