1. Default solo midwestern road trip ideas?

i will have some time to take a vacation soon, and i am fighting my first instinct to just jump in my car and drive.. i'd like to try and plan something out (at least, roughly) since i am going alone and want to be safe.

my dog and i will be the only roadtrippers.. since the weather is getting rainy and colder i think i'd like to go south, but other than that i'm just not sure where to go.

anyone have ideas they want to share? solo roadtrip advice?

it has been my experience that most motels allow dogs, but i feel a bit more safe at hotels (usually no outside entrance, must go through the lobby).. do you agree/disagree or have suggestions?

thanks to all

~single female driver+1 mutt

Tucson, AZ

Default Your Only Worry is How to Choose Where to Go

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

First, as to your safety while traveling alone: Although written from an RVer's perspective, these safety tips from two women travelers should prove useful. Here's a great rambling discussion on the subject, and some other resources on the topic.

But where to go? Well, being in the middle of the country means that you're in the middle of a bunch of destinations as well Within a relatively easy two days of driving from say Chicago are: the Black Hills and Badlands of the Dakotas, the Front Ranges of the Rockies, the Ozarks, the whole Mississippi River valley and the Great River Road, New Orleans and the bayous of Louisiana, the Gulf coast, the entire stretch of the Appalachian Mountains including the Great Smoky Mountains, the entire Atlantic coast from Georgia to Maine, the great cities of the east including Washington and New York, even French Canada with Montréal and Québec. The list is literally endless.