Default Durham, NC to Salt Lake City, UT with mom in 8 days - suggestions, please!

Hey all!

I'm brand new to this website and am looking for suggestions for a (almost) cross-country road trip from Durham, NC to Salt Lake City, UT in 8 days in October 2009. I am a physical therapy student and will be traveling by 4-door car with my mom for a 5-month rotation in Salt Lake City. We are looking to do this trip inexpensively, but see some sights on the way. Are there any suggestions for fun/artsy/cool/historic/beautiful sites on this trip? How about inexpensive lodging (camping won't be an option this late in the season per our lack of winter gear)? Or maybe some beautiful roads to take?

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

Tucson, AZ

Default Starter Suggestion Set

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Eight days is actually quite a comfortable amount of time for the trip you have in mind. It should let you spend a considerable amount of time each day exploring the land you'll be driving through. But that also means that you have the time to travel any one of several possible routes. The shortest would be to use a variety of roads (I-40/US-52/I-74/I-77) up to Beckley, WV and then take I-64 to St. Louis, I-70 to Kansas City, I-29/Ne-2 to Lincoln, NE, and I-80 the rest of the way. On that route, some fun/artsy/etc. stops might include Mt. Airy, NC (the inspiration for Mayberry), Blue Grass country in Kentucky, St. Louis (the home of some great free museums), the old Oregon Trail along the Platte River in Nebraska, and incredible scenery in Rocky Mountain National Park and Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area. There are similar opportunities along all the routes available to you.

So, since you have plenty of time before your trip, you might want to start by getting a good atlas and using the US map at the front to map out a few alternate routes to what I suggested. Then use the state maps to see what's along the way. As for cheep motels, those at the low price end tend to be Motel 6, Super 8, Red Roof Inns, Travelodge and others. I tend to find those in the next level up worth the price, and these would include Days Inn, Clarion, Comfort Inn, La Quinta, etc.