1. Default Best Winter spots in the Southwest

Hi Everyone!

I'm planning a trip for the end of November or possibly January. I'll be traveling from Colorado Springs to Sacramento. I just wanted to hear what places people have visited in the winter (and which to stay away from!). I'm a big fan of the four corner states but any suggestions are welcome. Any traveling recommendations are great too.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default A Little more

Welcome to the RTA forum!

Winter Travel can have both some big upsides and big downsides. Obviously, in the negative, many areas simply aren't accessable in the winter, and snow can make travel tricky. However, many places are much less crowded and some are arguably more interesting to visit with snow on the ground.

Having said all that, its hard to make any recommendations without knowing what sorts of things you are interested in and how much time you have to see them.

3. Default

I love geology and have hit up a lot of the national parks/monuments already, but none in the winter. I'm open to see anything really. I have about a week to spend. I've done a lot of road trips over the last two years (total >25,000 miles). I understand that winter travel/experience is variable on the weather but I can't control that. I was just looking for any personal recommendations/experiences, so I could look into them for myself. Thanks!

Tucson, AZ

Default Also..

If you plan to swing south again rather than take the more direct route via Cheyenne and Salt Lake City, then places you might want to consider include the Taos Pueblo and Kitt Carson's home in Taos, NM; Petroglyph National Monument in Albuquerque, and some of these spots in northern Arizona.