TwoLaneTravel Guest

Default Michigan to Florida on US-27

Hello all, We have been enjoying two lane trips much more than the freeway's. We just love taking our time and driving the two lane roads through all the cool towns of america. We have done a portion of route 66 and now we are going to do Old US-27.

What should we make sure and see along US-27?

Enjoy your trips!
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 10-24-2008 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Sorry, New Members are not allowed to post off site links

Tucson, AZ

Default US Highways

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The entire US Highway system is still pretty much out there, and like you, I occasionally take pleasure in just following a single route for long stretches. I remember growing up, before the Interstates took over, that National Geographic ran a recurring series that did just that, followed a single highway from end to end and report on what they found. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the US Highway system was never a Federally sanctioned effort, but rather a compact of states to bring some semblance of order to the road system already in place. Route numbers were assigned for political and commercial as well as geographic and rational reasons. Also large chunks of US highways now share alignment (i.e. run on) Interstate Highways.

Still, US-27, running from northern Michigan to Miami, traverses some interesting countryside, and other than Cincinnati, and Miami doesn't go through too many big cities. For me, the major highlights of that route would be the Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area, the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Roosevelt's Little White House Historic Site, and the Everglades Wildlife Management Area. But, as you suggest, the pleasure in driving such roads is really that they bring you closer to new regions that you really can't understand if all you do is drive down the Interstate and eat and sleep at the exits.