1. Default Winter trip Sacramento to Denver

Hello to everybody,Hey Guys pls.if somebody ever have traveled from Sacramento to Denver in December can tell me whats the better way that i can get to Denver from Sacramento.Me and My fiancee planning to make the wedding in 29 November in Sacramento,so we gonna move in the begininng in December to Denver.We drive Honda Civic 2004 coupe,its not winter car at all,I know that but thats the situation for now.I've read a lot of comments for these kind of trip,but i didnt get exactly which way is better-this across (I80)Nevada-Utah-Colorado or this across Arizona-New Mexico-Colorado.I live in Denver and I know the winter time in Colorado,but she never had drove in a winter time,so pls if somebody can tell me which way I can take I'll be very thankful.Thanks in advance to everybody.

Default Check before leaving.

Hello and welcome to R.T.A.

The weather is unpredictable at best and you would be best to check the weather forecasts/ road conditions before travelling so that you are prepared.
    I-80 is the quickest route and being an Interstate is a priority to keep clear of any delays so this would be the most likely choice to take, pending those reports. You don't say how long you are allowing for the journey but at a little under 1200 miles and allowing for delays I would look to 3 comfortable days rather than 2 long ones. Do the normal vehicle checks before leaving and also make sure there are good treads left on the tyres.
    Looking at the routes, going down to Albuquerque N/M will add aprox 380 miles and 6-7 hours of driving. I doubt you would see any sort of delays of that length and you also have the choice of heading to I-70 if there are any interuptions on I-80, As I said, keep an eye on the forecasts and have a safe journey.

Dave.

Default sedans snowstorms and the long way around

Going all the way down to New Mexico would likely be a pretty foolish bet to try and avoid weather. The 350 extra miles ads about 30% more miles to your trip, which means that you'll be on the road 30% longer. Since I-40 is nearly as likely to see bad weather as I-80, You'd basically be increasing your chance of seeing bad weather on your trip by 30%.

The only one disclamer to that is that I-80 across the Sierra would be the biggest increase in chance to see bad weather, relative to CA-58 at Tehachapi (although they certainly get snow there too). If I-80 is getting hammered as you are about to leave, then I might think about detouring to the south. However, since the detour would add almost a full extra day of driving, even in that situation, my first choice would be simply to wait out the storm if possible.

This also seems like a good time for a reminder that most sedans, like a Honda Civic, are perfectly capable of driving through moderate snow with all season tires. (Chains may also be needed in Mountain areas) The "need" for Four Wheel Drive SUVs to drive through the snow is a very recent trend, and its also one that tends to bread overconfidence. Next time you're driving through or just after a recent snowstorm, look at which cars are in the ditch. Often you'll find more SUV and Pickups in the ditch than sedans.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Going all the way down to New Mexico would likely be a pretty foolish bet to try and avoid weather. The 350 extra miles ads about 30% more miles to your trip, which means that you'll be on the road 30% longer. Since I-40 is nearly as likely to see bad weather as I-80, You'd basically be increasing your chance of seeing bad weather on your trip by 30%.

The only one disclamer to that is that I-80 across the Sierra would be the biggest increase in chance to see bad weather, relative to CA-58 at Tehachapi (although they certainly get snow there too). If I-80 is getting hammered as you are about to leave, then I might think about detouring to the south. However, since the detour would add almost a full extra day of driving, even in that situation, my first choice would be simply to wait out the storm if possible.

This also seems like a good time for a reminder that most sedans, like a Honda Civic, are perfectly capable of driving through moderate snow with all season tires. (Chains may also be needed in Mountain areas) The "need" for Four Wheel Drive SUVs to drive through the snow is a very recent trend, and its also one that tends to bread overconfidence. Next time you're driving through or just after a recent snowstorm, look at which cars are in the ditch. Often you'll find more SUV and Pickups in the ditch than sedans.

Thanks a lot Guys,I think Iam gonna get I80 across Nevada and Utah and hope everythings gonna be alright,one more time Thanks a Lot,thats a great site.See ya