1. Default LA to NYC Scenic Route in 7 days

Hi Guys,

I'm moving to NYC from LA and will be on the road this Saturday Oct 25th. I do not have to arrive until late in the day Friday Oct 31st. Although its not an incredible amount of time I was hoping to take a route that would be scenic and possibly have some places along the way to checkout.

I'm planning on spending a night in Vail CO on Sunday but other than that, I have no other plans. I'm torn between going I-80 or I-70 after that. My only concern is hitting pet friendly hotels/motels along the way which doesn't look like it will be too big of a problem.

Any recommendations on which interstate I should take?

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Doing the Google maps things shows the difference to be about 18 miles...not anything that I'd be concerned with on a trip of this size. Anyway, there's something I like about I-70 more than I-80 and I'm not really sure what it is. Maybe it's seeing the Gateway Arch in St. Louis or knowing that I'm right in the heart of the country.

I would recommend I-80 in Pennsylvania, however, as it traverses some beautiful scenery. If you are taking I-70 most of the way, you can cut up to I-80 via I-71 or I-77 in Ohio. I-71 tends to be more heavily traveled due to being the major connector between Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland.

A quick search online should help you to find pet friendly motels along the way.

Either way you go the scenery is almost the same once you are east of Denver. I 80 would probably have the least amount of traffic with the exception of going around the south edge of the metro Chicago area. Thru Indiana and Ohio I 80 is a toll road. Thru Nebraska it stays pretty close to the Platte river and the old Oregon Trail. There is quite a bit of historical and cowboy stuff that way. I 70 will take you thru Kansas City, St Louis, Indianapolis, and Columbus Oh. Pennsylvania is beautiful this time of year. Either route you will have nice scenery. Part of I 70/76 is a toll road with several tunnels. If you like fall scenery you might consider taking I 90 east from Cleveland. Just east of Erie Pa you pick up I 86{Southern Tier Expressway} to Binghamton NY. There you pick up SR 17 which will take you along the southern edge of the Catskill Mtns to I 87 just south of Newburgh NY.Its a few miles further, but if you like fall scenery its worth the trip. Good Luck!

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default The Mother Road

Let's not forget Route 66. See some Americana.

And it runs right along interstates, (I-40, I-44, I-55) so you can easily get on and off. It's get you to Chicago.