Default Phoenix to Grand Canyon and surrounding places

Hi All,

I am planning a trip from Phoenix, AZ to Grand Canyon this November( Planning to leave phoenix on 7th afternoon and come back by 13 night or so) and hopefully there would be no snow on the north rim.

Can anyone please let me know the places to visit around Grand Canyon (the most scenic ones) like bryce canyon, Zion n p etc.? There are so many places that I am not able to route them properly nor do i know how much time to spend at each one.

Routes would be helpful.

I would greatly appreciate any help and looking forward to your replies.

Sincerely
    Ace.

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

I think the whole state of Utah is very scenic, and the places you mentioned like Bryce and Zion would be at the top of that list. Are you planning just to hit the highlights, or do you want to get out and explore? What have you budgeted for? Are you familiar with winter driving should the situation arise?

You should note that services in the North Rim section of Grand Canyon will be closed at that time of year. You can find more information on this page.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am willing to go to all those places which i can cover in this duration. Budget is not a constraint. And as far as winter driving goes, I just recently moved from chicago. So that should not be a problem. But i would definitely like to know what kind of winter conditions i would be facing in the first week of november. Additional knowledge is always good.

The link you have provided is very helpful. Also, it says that 'Highway 67 into the North Rim remains open to public travel through mid-November'. I am counting on this and hope that no major snowfall occurs in between 7th and 13th of Nov.

Just found out 2 more scenic places. Antelope canyon and Horseshoe bend near Page.

Any more information would be helpful relating to the trip.

Thanks,

Sincerely
    Ace.

Default South rim.

Hi,

Of course, if the North rim is closed the South rim is an option and is an all year round visitor spot. Entering through the South entrance and leaving by the East entrance [along Desert view drive with great views] will set you up for your trip to Page.

I think with 6 days you have enough to do and you already have some of the best places there are listed.
    With your first afternoon travelling and 2nd day[the 8th] in Page/ Antelope canyon, 9th/10th at the North rim leaving lunchtime for Zion 10/11th and then to Bryce 11th/12th which will be time to make tracks for home and back on the 13th. The drive between Zion and Bryce will take you through the Mount Carmel tunnel across Checkaboard mesa and Red canyon which is worth a stop, it's a great journey.

Cameron has a trading post that you might find worth a visit, and even a possible stop over on your first or last night. The little town of Springdale is a great place to stop for Zion N.P. and Ruby's Inn is closest to Bryce canyon.
    All this will depend on weather conditions and I would keep checking the forecasts on route. Take plenty of layered clothing and expect freezing conditions, especially at high altitudes like the North rim and Bryce canyon and do the usual vehicle checks before setting off. If you are not sure when your coolant was last done it would be worth flushing it and making sure it gets a good mix of anti freeze in there.

Have a great trip.

Hi,

Thanks for the information. Looks like we have a plan. Here it goes;

1. Phoenix to Grand canyon south Rim (7th Night Stay)
    2. South Rim to Page (Night Stay) - 8th Night Stay
    3. Page to North Rim (9th/ 10th in North Rim)
    4 North Rim to Zion (10th Night Stay)
    5. Zion to Bryce (11th in Zion - 11th Night Stay in Bryce)
    6. Bryce to Phoenix (12th Night stay in Bryce, 13th to phoenix)

Will surely check out Mount Carmel/ Red canyon.

Found out two places but i dont think i can squeeze them in - Grand canyon Skywalk and Four corners.

Also, I think I will have to take a 4WD/AWD vehicle. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for the info once again.

Will update the thread with the proceedings.

Sincerely,
    Ace.

Default Not unless you like spending money!

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Also, I think I will have to take a 4WD/AWD vehicle. Please let me know your thoughts.
    None of the places on your schedule will require or even suggest a 4WD vehicle. There are fun to drive -- but your rental contract will forbid taking them off-pavement, so the advantages of having 4-WD would be diminished considerably -- they require more fuel and are generally less comfortable than comparably priced 2WD vehicles.

Mark

Default Busy enough.

Hi,
    Found out two places but i dont think i can squeeze them in - Grand canyon Skywalk and Four corners.

Ace.
    You trip is busy enough and in my opinion neither of these options above are worth sacrificing any of your other places listed or squeezing the extra time from the schedule.

I presume you mean to prepare for bad weather.
    As Mark has said it will cost you more in every way [rental/gas]but it could become handy if the weather set in. The downside is if you start to think you can go anywhere and that your safe from the effects of snow or ice and grow over confident in it's ability you can come unstuck. A 2WD should do, but if you take the 4WD option, don't head anywhere you wouldn't in the 2WD [If that makes any sense,LOL!]

Have a safe journey.

8. Default More options

I don't want to confuse you further if you have already finalized your trip. I made an exact trip two years back. I flew into Phoenix and drove around for about 15 days.

The places I recommend that you don't have on your list are:
    a) Petrified Forest Natl. Park - Very cool!
    b) Meteor crater and the Wupatki Natl Monument
    c) Maybe Sedona for the sunset on the cathedral rocks.

Hi,

Thanks for all your inputs. I totally agree that a 4WD would mean extra cash and gas but I was considering a 4WD only if some bad weather hit me. And you are right Dave, I should not be taking the 4WD to a place where I would not go with a 2WD!

(By the way i was thinking about Point Sublime & Toroweap on the North Rim. Any ideas as to how rough the road is or is it totally a bad idea to go there with a SUV that too in early November? --> Now this is a road where i cannot take a 2WD!)

Thanks dinesh for additional information. The Meteor crater is definitely worth a try.

Once again thanks again for all the inputs.

Will keep you posted.

Sincerely,
    Ace.

Default That is a 4-WD road

(By the way i was thinking about Point Sublime & Toroweap on the North Rim.
    If it is muddy -- that is not a road for 2-WD! Around the Grand are several less visited places -- here are some more ideas.

Mark