1. Default From Texas to the Great Tetons...need suggestions

Last year on our honeymoon we did 10 days in Maui with no planning at all. All we really did was buy one of those books on Maui and played it by ear. It turned out to be a awesome trip.

This year we have decided to do a full fledged roadtrip from our home in Dallas, Tx to Wyoming. We again will have 10 full days for this trip. We plan to do this on our Anniversary (April 12th)

Now, I was wondering if anyone here could give us a few suggestions on places to stop on the way to the Gran Tetons from Texas. I know Yellowstone is a obvious choice... I would love to spend 2-3 days in Grand Teton National park. My primary goal is photography, I am a professional photographer so anything with a nice beautiful view will keep me happy. My wife loves to do things like hiking, and other outdoor activities...she also likes to mingle with the locales :)

Default A little more time?

Hello and welcome to R.T.A.

Now, I was wondering if anyone here could give us a few suggestions on places to stop on the way to the Gran Tetons from Texas. I know Yellowstone is a obvious choice...
    Yellowstone is actually beyond the Tetons coming from the South but can be visited whilst there.

With only 10 days and a 3000 mile round trip with 3 days in the Tetons it won't give you too much spare time for side trips into other parks, but it should be a relaxed pace. We generally think that 500-550 miles a day is what you can cover and be fairly comfortable.
    A possibility would be to have a little time in Rocky N.P. on the way up as you will be close by,[2nd night] and if you add Yellowstone that will be your time pretty much taken.

If you could work another few days there is a lot to see in Colorado and New Mexico.

3. Default

I maybe able to work another day or two in :) I have never been to Colorado, so I must visit a nice area there!

Default Winging it With a Plan

Most people here would agree with you that traveling "with no planning at all" can be freeing and give you the sense that anything is possible. There are, however, those who relish knowing exactly what there getting into and having some background on the places they're going to be visiting. I tend to have a foot in both camps. Generally, I research a trip and load up with information on more places and things than I will ever get to see. Then while on the road I pick and choose from what's available as the mood hits me, but knowing that I didn't miss some great little out-of-the-way attraction just because they didn't have a billboard on the Interstate.

Now, I tend to agree with Dave that 10 days is really a minimum for this trip, but still, if you take 3 days up, three days there and three days back (with a day in reserve to use where the mood strikes) you can do at least the beginning of justice to the Tetons and Yellowstone as well as see a few things going up and coming back. As just a sampler, have a look at these stops every few hours along the major Interstates.

One of the nicest areas of Colorado is just west of I-25 and north of Denver. This includes the great college town of Boulder, some smaller communities like Nederland and Allenspark along CO-72 and CO-7 on the way up to Estes Park where the Stanley Hotel (the inspiration for "The Shining") and Rocky Mountain national Park top the list of attractions.

AZBuck

Default Snap.

I like to plan my roadtrips the same as Buck.

I maybe able to work another day or two in :) I have never been to Colorado, so I must visit a nice area there!
    If you could find an extra couple of days and add them to your journey home [5 days] you could cut through the heart of Colorado and travel on the
    Million dollar highway.
    Some places of interest and possible over night stops would be Flaming gorge [Green river]. Onto Montrose and the Black canyon of the Gunnison and then down to Durango/ Albuquerque and then a couple of days home.
    I think that would satisfy both your needs and make an interesting trip.

Have fun.

Default Fellow Texan

Our family made many summer trips to Colorado over the years. Our favorites were:
    Capulin Volcano Natl Monument (NM)
    Red River, NM (quaint little mountain ski town with a river, lots of deer, TBucks is a great breakfast place)
    The US Olympic Training Center (Colorado Springs,CO)
    Pikes Peak (neat train ride up, 45 degrees in August, America the Beautiful written here)
    Garden of the Gods (great hiking trails & photo ops-ColoSprgs)
    Seven Falls (in the evening - Indian dance and they light up the falls) just outside ColoSprgs
    Royal Gorge (Canon City -west of Pueblo & SW of ColoSprings)
    Estes Park (CO)

We'll be traveling 2wks to Yellowstone in late May/June 2009 but going to the Black Hills and the Little Bighorn Monument first. I'm sure we'll be going back thru Colorado Springs on our way home as we'll have my 10yr old nephew (we've taken the two older ones as well - had the pleasure of waking up one morning to several balloonist floating across in front of us as we were facing east...as the oldest said at age 11 "wow").