Thread: Lost In America

1. Default Lost In America

Hi,

I'm planning to go on a road trip in the summer of 2009 with a friend. We're in very early stages of planning at the moment but we're hoping to stay about 2 weeks in the states and spend around £1000-1500 each. We're thinking of starting in New York and ending up at Los Angeles. We're hoping to stay in cheap motels for the majority of the journey and perhaps rent out a car. Apart from that i'm open to suggestions and advice.

Thanks

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

One thing to consider is that a one way automobile rental means higher rental fees. There may also be some stipulations in the contract about where you can actually drive the car. Some agents in my area will not allow the vehicle to be driven South of Virginia nor West of the Mississippi River.

£3000 - which is about $5200 at the current rate - is an adequate sum. I have found that I spend about $1000-1200 per week with two people. Even with rental fees included you should have enough (unless you are a big spender!)

Now, what kind of things do you wish to see when you're over here? Are you an outdoorsy type of person, interested in city life, something else? What are your friend's interests? The more we know about you the better we can help you and your friend.

Default Over 25 ?

Hello and welcome,

As Tim rightly Said, we would need to know what your interests/main aims for this trip are, you have so many possibility's. I would suggest searching the forums. Roadtrip field reports might be a good place to start for ideas and things that appeal to you and have a look at the many ideas in this thread.

I ask about your age because they load up your car rental premium if you are under 25 which may play a big part in the budget you have, especially if your budget needs to include the cost of flights? It is worth going on line and getting some quotes for such things and then see what you have left for lodging, gas, food and other spending.

Once you have had a look around and got a few ideas together come back and we can help piece it together with you.

Default Lowest Rates in 10 years!

Due to the softening of the travel markets -- Las Vegas strip hotels are advertising room rates that are averaging about $100 less per night currently -- A good time to travel to 'Vegas!

5. Default

"I ask about your age because they load up your car rental premium if you are under 25 which may play a big part in the budget you have, especially if your budget needs to include the cost of flights? It is worth going on line and getting some quotes for such things and then see what you have left for lodging, gas, food and other spending."
    I'm eighteen and will still be eighteen next summer. I'm more interested in experiencing the rural parts of America (with the exception of a couple of places like Las Vegas) than the big cities. We're hoping to get a feel for the scale of America and want to visit places with as much variety as possible. I've got an idea in my head of travelling through the quiet countryside and visiting local bars and cafes, that sort of thing.

Thanks
    Last edited by Duxenbury; 10-17-2008 at 10:24 AM.

Default Not good news.

Hi,

It sounds you have given thought to what you want from the trip and you won't be disappointed with what the States has to offer.

However at just 18 I doubt you will find anyone to rent you a car for your journey unless your mate is over 21 and then you will have to pay a premium.
    25 years old and over is normally related to normal fees.
    Of course there are other ways of getting around but it will leave you restricted to places that you might want to visit independently.

Got an older mate who might be interested. ;-)

Good luck with turning your dream into a reality, but it will still be there if you have to wait an extra couple of years.

Default Cafes yes, bars no.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxenbury View Post
    I'm eighteen ... I've got an idea in my head of travelling through the quiet countryside and visiting local bars ...
    I hate to follow up the bad news on car hire with more bad news but ... the drinking age in the States is 21 and it's something you won't get around (i.e. it's not like the UK where sometimes you'll be asked for i.d. and other times you won't - you can forget it). Sorry.