1. Default Seattle to Las Vegas in December...insane?

We've been considering a desert road trip, with a 3-4 day stop in LV, then back north to Seattle. The mapping tools all seem to want an I-84/I-15 route (rather than I-5 to SoCal and then NE on I-15--I think).

We did a big summer trip, and it was great, but for the desert, I think it would be too hot to do in summer. But snowy passes concern me.

Is this an insane idea? Or would it be safe enough? How's the scenery in the winter vs. the spring? We'd take about 10 days or so, maybe two weeks to do the whole trip.

Me, DH and two kids ages 5 and 9.

Default Most of the snow will be in the Cascades

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    We've been considering a desert road trip, with a 3-4 day stop in LV, then back north to Seattle.
    The reason the mapping tools suggest I-84, is that is faster then I-5... But what I would recommend would be I-84 to US-93 past Great Basin NP to Las Vegas.
    But snowy passes concern me.
    You'll see snow -- but it's unlikely to cause much delay. We are still in a drought.
    How's the scenery in the winter vs. the spring?
    It's pretty gorgeous and the cooler temps allow more hiking at rest stops. Here is a field report from eastern Nevada....

Mark

Default I recommend a loop

And the choices are almost endless if you're willing to drive on state highways, too, and not just stick to interstates.

You can certainly do the I-84 route and the I-5 route, using one to get there and the other to get home, for example. In the winter, this is probably what I would do.

If there is any snow anywhere, it will be quickly cleared on any interstate either just by the traffic itself or, if heavy enough, by road crews. If there's a storm-front, you might have a short delay but it's not something I would be too worried about. Of course, you should always check the weather reports when traveling in the winter.