1. Default Summer trip ideas??

First off I wanna say hi this is my first post . Hi. My family and I with another couple ( 4 adults ,2 (9) year old children) want to plan a road trip from NY(Long Island) to somewhere West this comming summer. Were going to rent a 30ft RV. I want to see new sites and dont want to do the drive south Florida thing again. The problem is we're not fimiliar with any west destinations. I would like to see sights and go to some fun parks also. I'm thinking of a 2 week trip. Any ideas or sugestions? I'm going to do some searches, just wanted as many ideas as I can get.

Thanks Alot
    Marc

Default How far West ?

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums.

That's quite a far reaching question as drawing a line from your home to San Diego and another to Seattle and anything in between could be classed as West from your home and leaves you with many options.

Are you renting the R.V. from near home or have you considered flying out West and then picking one up ? You could head towards Colorado, Arizona and Utah for some amazing scenery and some amazing National parks. This would probably split your trip in two, half driving there and back and the other half exploring the parks. The NPS website has all the info you need for finding scenic parks across the states.

You may want to stay closer to home at a more relaxed pace. There is a lot of info on the forums, and this A-Z list of States is a good place to look and in the Roadtrip Planning section of R.T.A that you can find in the green bar at the top of the page.

Once you have narrowed your options and got a couple of ideas pop back and I am sure that we will be able to help you piece it together.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 10-12-2008 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Added link

3. Default

Thats a good idea flying around my destinations then renting a RV. I'll look into that also. Yellowstone , Grand canyon , Colorado areas, Yosemite National Park all sound nice. How would I go about finding a good place to rent a RV when I get there? Thanks for the info.

Default rv rental

I think you'll want to line up your rental RV well in advance. Its not the sort of thing where I just show up and expect to get what I want. This article has excellent info about RV rentals.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I think you'll want to line up your rental RV well in advance. Its not the sort of thing where I just show up and expect to get what I want. This article has excellent info about RV rentals.

Yea I meant pick it up when I get there. I know I will have to do it in advance. Thanks.

Default clairfy

I'm sorry, then I don't think I'm understanding your question. You're looking for a good place to pick up the RV when you get here? I think that's solely going to depend on who you rent from, but I think I'm missing something here.

Default To pre-book.

Quote Originally Posted by mnm99 View Post
    Thats a good idea flying around my destinations then renting a RV. I'll look into that also. Yellowstone , Grand canyon , Colorado areas, Yosemite National Park all sound nice. How would I go about finding a good place to rent a RV when I get there? Thanks for the info.
    Once you have decided where you are going to fly into,say Denver or Vegas for example just google R.V rental in......... and you will be able to search for the best deals. Two of the bigger company's are Cruise America and El Monte who have locations all over the country but you might find some smaller operators in your chosen area. As Michael said, you would need to book in advance for this.

With one of the bigger company's another option would be a one way rental, An example would be to fly to San Fran and drive back to N/Y seeing selected sites along the way. There would be an extra charge [one way drop off fee] but it will save the return air fare and you could see more of the country.